A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Does anybody else hate their rain sensing wipers?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox30
Hey Toecutter,
I have the same problem wwith the starter of this topic. I have als a model 2013 A4 Avant.
Can you explein in which menu you switched the settings of the rain sensor off?
Many thanks,
Fox30
On your MMI go to car/car systems/driver assist/rain sensor/off.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my rain sensing wipers....I have not had them wipe too frequently or infrequently. I do use the Rain X windshield wiper fluid though, so that helps a good bit with getting rain to bead up and run off and bugs to wipe off easy.

Also I have a 09 PP and the stalk for the windshield wipers has 5 positions.
All the way down is high speed wipers
One up from that is low speed
One up from that is off
One up from that is automatic (rain sensing)
and the top is a one time wipe and it will automatically return to the rain sensing postion.

Are everyone elses different? If you don't like the rain sensing, why don't you just move the stalk down one setting to off?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyncris
If you don't like the rain sensing, why don't you just move the stalk down one setting to off?
...because the windshield gets covered with rain and you can't see where you're going? LOL.

Sometimes it mists or drizzles and you want an intermittent wipe because low speed is too frequent and to do a single wipe manually means you have to flick the lever every five seconds.

Unfortunately the rain sensor doesn't always read the windshield when it's supposed to. I like having the set time interval much better.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyncris
I love my rain sensing wipers....I have not had them wipe too frequently or infrequently. I do use the Rain X windshield wiper fluid though, so that helps a good bit with getting rain to bead up and run off and bugs to wipe off easy.

Also I have a 09 PP and the stalk for the windshield wipers has 5 positions.
All the way down is high speed wipers
One up from that is off
and the top is a one time wipe and it will automatically return to the rain sensing postion.

Are everyone elses different?
Yes. On my 2011 PP, it is mostly an inverse of that.

All the way down is one time wipe and it will automatically return to the rain sensing postion. high speed wipers
One up from that is off
and the top is a high speed wipers
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shs92645
The rain sensing wipers on my '09 A4 have never worked well....today the dealer discovered that you can go into the computer and disable them without affecting the automatic lights. I'm now happy as can be with regular intermittent wipers with 4 settings!
Do you happen to know what was done or how this was accomplished? I just had the rain/light sensor disabled via VAGCOM as mentioned previously in this thread but that does not appear to have changed anything.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sverdina
Do you happen to know what was done or how this was accomplished? I just had the rain/light sensor disabled via VAGCOM as mentioned previously in this thread but that does not appear to have changed anything.
I'd like to find that out, also. I was told the only fix was to replace the windshield. Grrr
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pesticidal
I'd like to find that out, also. I was told the only fix was to replace the windshield. Grrr
Or perhaps just replace the clear rubber gasket between the glass and the sensor/mirror assembly. I'm 99% certain that the windshield was replaced at least once in my car and looking through windshield at the sensor I see pockets of what appears to be inconsistent adhesion...kinda like when one doesn't do a good job applying the anti-scratch film to the screen of an iPhone and such.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sverdina
Or perhaps just replace the clear rubber gasket between the glass and the sensor/mirror assembly. I'm 99% certain that the windshield was replaced at least once in my car and looking through windshield at the sensor I see pockets of what appears to be inconsistent adhesion...kinda like when one doesn't do a good job applying the anti-scratch film to the screen of an iPhone and such.
I had the dealership check that. They took the sensor off and inspect the mount.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pesticidal
I had the dealership check that. They took the sensor off and inspect the mount.
And they found nothing to be concerned about I gather, eh? Looking through the glass at the sensor are there any of the irregularities I mentioned?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer made the change for me through the computer. I don't know what they had to do, but I know it was very easy and took just a couple of minutes.