A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dreaded p0016

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dreaded p0016

hey everyone long time follower, finally got to a point where I’m lost.
So I live in Washington and this weekend had a bunch of snow. So of course took the Audi out (13 a4 w/ 92k) and had zero issues well today I was on my way into work and my EPC light flashed for a bout a second and then turned off and all seemed well till I came to a stop and my car started jerking and super rough idle. So I pulled over and plugged my schwabben code reader in and got my cam sensor, multiple misfires, cyl 1 2 3 & 4 misfire and a cold start idle air codes in. I cleared the codes but then continue to come back in but I noticed that if I keep my RPM’s above 1500 that my reader shows zero misfires so I’m pretty stumped. One last thing is that about 2 months ago when I was coming home my EPC light came in with my cam sensor code and wouldn’t let me drive about 30 but when I got home finally I just went to bed to trouble shoot the next morning to zero problems till today. I’ve read about the PCV, Bad gas,tensioner, coils etc. and I have already replaced cam position sensor with zero resolution and was hoping for possible help before I gotta take her in! Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
Raycing (08-11-2021)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Timing chain skipped? Does it have the updated chain tensioner?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Timing tensioner

the dealer says was replaced in there service files from the previous owners but I don’t know if that means it’s the updated
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx_boost
the dealer says was replaced in there service files from the previous owners but I don’t know if that means it’s the updated
Make sure they replaced all the components, you can see my post about possible shortcuts independent mechanics or dealerships take!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will definitely have to look into that! So update so far I had to take my car into town earlier and the whole trip there I had zero issues (no rough idle or misfires at all) then leaving the store about half way home all the same issues returned. Could something like that be a tensioner still or something else? (Electrical or vaccum leaks have been reading up on)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost always the P0016 code is related to the cam/crank correlation. This specifically means that the crankshaft and camshafts are not properly in sync and there is an issue with timing, however I thought they fixed the issue by model year 2012. I could be wrong as I am new to the B8 community and my main experience is in the 2004 - 2010 A8s. I can tell you from experience that this intermittent P0016 code and the running conditions you described are characteristic of timing chain tensioner failure, or timing chain stretch. I say this as I recently bought and repaired a 2010 A4 Avant with this same issue. To even explain further, I bought the car unknowing with the main issue was, however I knew that my model year was know for timing chain tensioner failure and timing chain stretch. The original independent mechanic diagnosed the issue as the timing had skipped enough to cause the engine to contact the pistons, and valves, thus needing an engine. I knew this wasn't true as any engine that contacts valves and pistons, make one hell of a racket and would not return a crank and camshaft sensor signal, as there is a high possibility of seizure, when turning over the engine. So I took a risk, purchased the vehicle from the owner for $500, which honestly was highway robbery, and waited until I could trailer it home to get to work. Well here is where the story get interesting, and relates to the running conditions you described. Upon initial inspection, I tried starting the vehicle with no luck, however on the day it was suppose to be trailer 6+ hours to my workshop. it not only started, but drove to my apartment. The only thing I noticed is that there was absolutely no power on the low end. Whenever I got it to my apartment it wouldn't start the next day and reproduced the P0016 code after clearing it the day before, whenever it ran. So to put it simply, it would appear that your engine is out of time just enough for it to run sometimes and not other time. This could also be due to Audi using a walking timing chain, I don't know specifics, but simply the timing chain moves along the timing route, and only aligns to the timing marks every X amount of rotations, and this could be how the engine and computer check to make sure it is "in time". Thus the engine may run sometimes, as it appears to be "in time" to the computer and not run well other times as the engine is "out of time", regardless anything beyond a caveman description of operation is well beyond my current graduate student stipend. So my best advise to you is to check the timing yourself or take it to someone knowledgable. Also, and pardon my caps: STOP DRIVING THE CAR!, unless you want to pay 5-8k for a used engine.

Last edited by jlbell; 02-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default rough cold idle P00016 CMP sensor (G40)/Eng. Speed Sensor (G28) incorrect correlation

My 2009 A4 B8 CAEB 2.0T had the dreaded oil consumption problem so I rebuilt the engine - new pistons, rings, bearings, valves, etc. I sent the head to the machine shop but I did the rest myself. New chains and tensioners for the camshafts and balance shafts. I was extremely careful and believed I had installed the timing chains correctly but after assembly and startup, I would get the 4096 Bank 1, CMP sensor (G40)/Eng. Speed Sensor (G28) incorrect correlation code P00016. Engine would run poorly at cold start, misfire and shake until completely warmed up. Once warmed up, it would run okay but would not recover well if the engine was revved in neutral. On the backside of the rev (rpms going back down), the rpms would dip below 500 and the rough idle would re-appear briefly until idle once again stabilized.
I searched online and all advice found suggested the timing chain was off a tooth. I checked by removing the top timing chain cover and measuring the distances from the markings on the camshaft sprockets to see if they were within spec and they were but the problem persisted.
I decided to remove the timing chains and install again starting from scratch. I checked the chains before removing them by counting the links between camshaft sprocket marks and crankshaft sprocket marks and they were perfect as I thought. I reinstalled chains and tensioners again with great care. However, after startup there was no change.
I then stumbled across an entry online that suggested the N205 camshaft adjustment valve (Audi part # 06H-109-257-C) causing rough idle problems. I replaced this valve ($113.66 from dealer) which is located on the end of the intake cam shaft. You can get to it by removing the round camshaft adjuster magnet (3 screws) on the top timing chain cover. One of the screws also fastens the top of the dipstick tube. You need a special socket 10352/1A that you can get from ECS tuning as part of a 5 -piece set to remove the valve. Please note the N205 valve is reverse threaded so turning clockwise loosens and counterclockwise tightens.
After replacing this valve, engine now idles and runs like brand new and no more P00016 codes.
The following 2 users liked this post by 09A4B8CAEB2T:
daytripper100 (04-01-2024), Raycing (08-11-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
Make sure they replaced all the components, you can see my post about possible shortcuts independent mechanics or dealerships take!
Hi thete. Can u supply a link to that post you mentioned.