A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Drive select dynamic steering - is power assist level variable (on top of ratio)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive select dynamic steering - is power assist level variable (on top of ratio)?

I am debating whether to add ADS to my order and have a question about the dynamic steering.

I know the dynamic steering adjusts the steering ratio based on speed and ADS setting (so steering is more indirect at higher speeds and with ADS in dynamic mode). But is the level of Servotronic power assist varied too? Does it make the steering significantly heavier at low speeds, or does it just make the steering ratio more direct (e.g. fewer turns of the steering wheel to turn the wheels)?

To me the steering would be the main reason to get ADS (as I can live with the S-line suspension), but $3000 is a lot so the benefits would have to be amazing for it to be worth it.

(I have been trying to test drive an ADS car, but dealers don't seem to order them for stock.)
Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, saw power and level in the title, and I just had to do that lol.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe all the B8's have variable assist steering regardless of other options or trim (as you note, not to be confused with the variable ratio of ADS).
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I should clarify my question - I am particularly trying to figure out if changing the ADS mode affects the level of steering assist (basically, if Dynamic mode makes the Servotronic steering less assisted at low speeds).

Coming from a BMW I find the light steering at low speeds disconcerting, so I am curious if ADS changes how Servotronic boosts low-speed steering assist.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Changing Dynamic Steering setting changes Servotronic as well

Originally Posted by scottacus
Maybe I should clarify my question - I am particularly trying to figure out if changing the ADS mode affects the level of steering assist (basically, if Dynamic mode makes the Servotronic steering less assisted at low speeds).

Coming from a BMW I find the light steering at low speeds disconcerting, so I am curious if ADS changes how Servotronic boosts low-speed steering assist.
The steering certainly feels heavier to me when I put the car in Dynamic mode. Checked my owner's manual and I'm not imagining it... the Servotronic system is varied in concert with the Dynamic Steering. If you have a car with Individual mode (I think in the US they'll all have that for 2010, because to get Drive Select you'll need Prestige trim which comes with full MMI) you'll be able to change Dynamic Steering explicitly, and whichever of Comfort, Auto, or Dynamic you select will be propagated to the the Servotronic system. You won't be able to have indirect steering (Dynamic Steering set to "Comfort") with a heavy feel to it, or direct steering with a light feel.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottacus

Steering gets significantly heavier as you switch from Comfort to Auto to Dynamic. Comfort is basically overboosted - reminds me of old Buicks from 80s. Auto is similar to a setup without ADS although I can't say if it's exactly identical. Dynamic remains heavy at low speeds. It also makes the steering very responsive.

The difference between in steering effort in the three modes is dramatic and is the first thing you would notice when switching ADS settings.

As the previous poster noted you have get Nav in 09 to control the Individual mode. I don't find Dynamic mode suitable for everyday driving - auto transmission sticks to a very aggressive program that is quite annoying if you are cruising on the highway. Personally, I keep steering in Dynamic mode, drivetrain in Auto and suspension in either Dynamic or Comfort depending on who else is with me in the car or on the quality of the road.