A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Driver's Window Auto Up/Down Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's Window Auto Up/Down Issues

I noticed about a month ago that my drivers side window auto up/down control was kind of finicky. I would push it once to go up and it will go up about 3 inches and come back down. The only way I can get it all the way up is to hold the button, it will stop after three inches and keep holding it to go up. The same thing happens to bring the window down. I took it to the dealership, they reprogrammed something and it worked when I tried it before I left. Yesterday I tried to put my window up and the same thing happened again! Anyone have this issue?

Also, after they reprogrammed my window or whatever, my car felt A LOT different driving. Does it reprogram my driving style that my car is used to when they do something to the computer?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markinarch
I noticed about a month ago that my drivers side window auto up/down control was kind of finicky. I would push it once to go up and it will go up about 3 inches and come back down. The only way I can get it all the way up is to hold the button, it will stop after three inches and keep holding it to go up. The same thing happens to bring the window down. I took it to the dealership, they reprogrammed something and it worked when I tried it before I left. Yesterday I tried to put my window up and the same thing happened again! Anyone have this issue?

Also, after they reprogrammed my window or whatever, my car felt A LOT different driving. Does it reprogram my driving style that my car is used to when they do something to the computer?
I had this issue with my '08. My husband took it in and they said they reset something. My issue was intermittent, but I haven't noticed it acting up since it was looked at. About the driving feeling different....Perhaps they did a total reset on your car? I'm assume 2011 is different then 2008, but I don't know. Perhaps someone else will comment. I would call the dealership where you had it looked at and ask for a service manager.

I was listening to my 2011 windows going up/down. I can hear like a step process. Hard to describe, but it doesn't sound consistent. Listen to it doing Auto up/down. Make sure it's quiet around you. Night time is best. Probably how it's supposed to sound though.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the car acting differently following a visit to your dealer's service area -- my Audi Cabriolet acted differently every time I got it back from even routine servicing, over a period of nearly 8 years. I think its kind of like Microsoft providing constant and perpetual updates to Windows.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Push and hold the button and roll the window all the way down. Next, pull up and hold the button until the window rolls all the way up and the keep holding for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the pinch protection sensors in the windows. It's a common VW/Audi thing.
The following users liked this post:
Dan DiGregorio (01-27-2020)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I'll try that sequence and see what happends.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Push and hold the button and roll the window all the way down. Next, pull up and hold the button until the window rolls all the way up and the keep holding for at least 3 seconds. This will reset the pinch protection sensors in the windows. It's a common VW/Audi thing.
I recently had the same problem and used this sequence to rectify it on my brand-spanking-new A4. Fixed it right up.
The following users liked this post:
Dan DiGregorio (01-27-2020)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

similar process if you find your memory seats refuse to remember your settings. run the seat all the way forward then all the way backward.