A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dropped a thing in the vent!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped a thing in the vent!

Need some advices please.
Today I took the radio unit out so I could install a bluetooth module for music streaming in my A4 B8.
When removing the dash bezel the vent on the left side got stuck somehow so two of the black plates in the vent came loose.
I tried to refit it but instead I accidentally dropped the two metal parts that are between the plates right down into the vent. Sorry I'm not sure about the english name for these parts.
I did put a strong magnet on the end of a guitar string and I was able to get one of the metal parts up again, but I can't find the second one. I'm going to fish some more for this tomorrow.. so angry at myself right now.
What do you guys think, Can this be causing trouble when this part is down there in the vent channel? If the AC can fail because of this? I'm not really sure how it looks in the A4 B8, the layout of the vent channels.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Heh, I was just watching a video on youtube where the metal parts holding the vent slats were referenced: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qWmFOWmDB8

When you mean the left side, you mean the vent on the left side of the dash beyond the steering wheel, or the left one of the two vents in the center of the dash over the radio?
I'm guessing the far left one since it doesn't appear there's any "down" for the strip to go through the center vents.
The far left is just a tube that runs back to the center dash where it connects to the air distribution box.

I probably wouldn't leave it to float around and make it's way to the air distribution box and probably jam something.
Though if it didn't jam any of the air flow control doors, it would just get lodged in the heater core, I would assume.
While the air flow would push from the box to the vent, some hard turns or braking could send the loose piece anywhere.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Heh, I was just watching a video on youtube where the metal parts holding the vent slats were referenced: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qWmFOWmDB8

When you mean the left side, you mean the vent on the left side of the dash beyond the steering wheel, or the left one of the two vents in the center of the dash over the radio?
I'm guessing the far left one since it doesn't appear there's any "down" for the strip to go through the center vents.
The far left is just a tube that runs back to the center dash where it connects to the air distribution box.

I probably wouldn't leave it to float around and make it's way to the air distribution box and probably jam something.
Though if it didn't jam any of the air flow control doors, it would just get lodged in the heater core, I would assume.
While the air flow would push from the box to the vent, some hard turns or braking could send the loose piece anywhere.
Yes I meant the left side behind the steering wheel.
I never found that metal piece. It could have fallen out or it’s still in there somewhere. Time will tell..

I bought a used vent on ebay for a few bucks, but this turned out to be for right hand cars so it was a bit different. However, took that apart and scored the missing metal arm which I could use for my vent)