A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Engine oil indicator level measurement

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, the high to low shown is about 25% percent of the oil (roughly) or maybe it's one full liter. If it were to drop to zero the engine oil light would come on, so not 4.6 liter shown on the chart. You are using almost none in the grand scheme. The indicator has 8 graduations on it, so at the very worst, you have used about 1/8 of a liter for 1000K. You're doing great!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The low oil light (yellow one) comes on when the oil level is 10% below capacity. By time this comes on, your bar display should already be empty (it was for me). For me, the bar displays roughly the top 10% of the oil capacity. So it's range is roughly .5L.

If you really want to know, now that you're level is below the max marker, extract 250mL. See where the new level settles in. Now you know your car's display range.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

At SMac770. I'm pretty sure the owners manual is correct on this. When the yellow oil level warning comes on, the text shown says "Add oil, max. 1L. You may continue driving." The oil level indicator in MMI shows the same range as the markings on the dip stick (if you have one). About 1 liter.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update..

Yesterday, when i reached 1062KM it reduced to 2/8 on the level gauge, I suppose i have't seen the 1/8 at the right KMs but this time i pretty sure it reduce to 2/8 at 1062KM. So lets consider, it consumed approximately 250 ml for 1062KM(which includes 850 KM on the highway at minimum 100-160 KM speed/hr).

Let see how it goes! i will top up when i see the warning light on the dashboard or it reaches Min in the level gauge.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sasikals26
So here you mean, my car does't consumed not even 0.5 L for 1000 KM!!!
I look at this in simple terms. Your car is burning oil and it is easy to see based on your 1000km reading and then the 2nd reading. So you need to start being concerned about the consumption going forward. We change my kids oil at 5000 mile (8000km) and the reading on the dash gauge is full. I suspect if we go longer to the recommended 10,000 mile oil change we would see some consumption but we don't wait that long. Audi has done a fairly good job in convincing their buyers that oil consumption is normal but in reality a result of a poor design engine. So carry a few liters of oil with you when you travel and don't wait until the yellow add oil light comes up. Keep it topped off.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I look at this in simple terms. Your car is burning oil and it is easy to see based on your 1000km reading and then the 2nd reading. So you need to start being concerned about the consumption going forward. We change my kids oil at 5000 mile (8000km) and the reading on the dash gauge is full. I suspect if we go longer to the recommended 10,000 mile oil change we would see some consumption but we don't wait that long. Audi has done a fairly good job in convincing their buyers that oil consumption is normal but in reality a result of a poor design engine. So carry a few liters of oil with you when you travel and don't wait until the yellow add oil light comes up. Keep it topped off.
Thanks for your response and yes, i have already got ready with required oil(in my car boot) for top up but just waiting to understand how the oil consumption is, as i have bought this used car just few months back.

But i have read in many places that Audi says 1 quart for 1000 miles(0.94 litre for 1609 KM) is acceptable. However, no one can agree it.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

The acceptable level of oil consumption we specify is up to 0.5 litres per 1000km (approx. 620 miles)!!!

Owners Manual

https://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/a...20extracts.pdf
Old 06-18-2018, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sasikals26
Thanks for your response and yes, i have already got ready with required oil(in my car boot) for top up but just waiting to understand how the oil consumption is, as i have bought this used car just few months back.

But i have read in many places that Audi says 1 quart for 1000 miles(0.94 litre for 1609 KM) is acceptable. However, no one can agree it.
Yes we all have read or seen this statement and it is a way for the auto makers to CYA for the poor design. If you can't get a min of 5000 miles without consuming any oil then I consider it a problem. Think about the technology. In 1953 my father bought a new Ford with the early V8 engine. He was getting 500+/- miles on a quart of oil on a new car. Don't you think the technology has improved. You may have accepted this but I consider it a flaw. Ask some of those who have a 2015-2018 A4 and see what their oil usage is. Also consider Audi had only agreed to fix engines with less then 80,000 miles. What is so magic with that number. It tells me that's when you should sell the car.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Yes we all have read or seen this statement and it is a way for the auto makers to CYA for the poor design. If you can't get a min of 5000 miles without consuming any oil then I consider it a problem. Think about the technology. In 1953 my father bought a new Ford with the early V8 engine. He was getting 500+/- miles on a quart of oil on a new car. Don't you think the technology has improved. You may have accepted this but I consider it a flaw. Ask some of those who have a 2015-2018 A4 and see what their oil usage is. Also consider Audi had only agreed to fix engines with less then 80,000 miles. What is so magic with that number. It tells me that's when you should sell the car.
I agree with your words, However, i have bought this car without knowing all these :-( and now i am puzzled whether to convince myself and continue to drive or to sell it back! as I am not willing to do expensive repair to solve this issue.

My car was already crossed 157K KMs and it is consuming approximately 250ML oil for 1000 KM and I do not see any problem other then this.

Looking for some valuable advise at this stage?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

When I first bought my A4 used, it had 44k miles on it. I might add at most 250mL between the 10k miles oil change interval, until approaching 70k miles it started consuming oil at an increasing rate. By time they performed the rings fix at 74k miles, I was consuming a qt (.9L) every 350 miles or so. The car now is approaching 170k miles and I've never had to add any oil between oil changes since it was fixed.

250mL in 1k km seems nuts to me, regardless that it keeps Audi out of legal liability. But you won't really know what your car's consumption profile is, and if it's getting worse, until you've put 10k km on it and seen how your oil usage goes. In my case, once the issue really started, it became bad fast, but it still took 5k km for it to go from "hmm, I'm having to put more oil than normal in between changes" to "something is f'ing broke". But outside of that small time window, my consumption before or after was never worse than 250mL per 10k km.

Quick Reply: Engine oil indicator level measurement