A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Engine oil indicator level measurement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update..

Reached 1600 KM and level gauge reduced to 3/8.

In meantime, i have read in online that Audi will consume less oil(comparing to oil consumption, when it is full in level gauge!!!! ) when oil level gauge reduce to half. however, let me keep my eyes on it!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking for the valuable suggestion..

Right now, I have reached 3200km and my E-Dip stick is toggling between 6/8 and 7/8.

1. Is it fine if I wait until I see low oil level warning on the dashboard ? As I want to know how much it is consuming after the oil change(4.6 L Castrol edge 5w30).

2. After low level warning, do I need to top up with 500 ml and see when the next warning light appears? Just want to check the consumption status/consistency.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Sasi, your oil isn't low. It's just something less than 100% full. The car will generate a warning when it sees the oil is low and will ask you to add 1L. No harm or peril here.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Sasi, your oil isn't low. It's just something less than 100% full. The car will generate a warning when it sees the oil is low and will ask you to add 1L. No harm or peril here.
thanks for your response.

My understanding is, My car already consumed nearly 750ml of oil for 3200km and I will get the low oil level warning in next 500-600km drive. Am I right ?

Last edited by sasikals26; 09-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You might be. The light on our cars seems to be triggered when the bar graph is just below the bottom edge of that graph. It's said that entire bar graph represents 1 liter of oil.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

You might be. The light on our cars seems to be triggered when the bar graph is just below the bottom edge of that graph. It's said that entire bar graph represents 1 liter of oil.
It has been already reached to the bottom edge(7/8) now.
So when I get low oil level warning on the dashboard, I need to stop my car and wait for 5-10 minutes and add 500-750 ml ? and is there any precaution advise to keep in mind?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No, just shut it down and add 3/4 of the bottle - no reason to wait.

It will take a while for the car to create a new measurement on the display after the hood is opened.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, just shut it down and add 3/4 of the bottle - no reason to wait.

It will take a while for the car to create a new measurement on the display after the hood is opened.
Okay, Thanks for your time/advise.

Waiting for final number/liter of oil.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I recently figured out the trick to getting the oil level display working after opening the hood.
It makes sense once you know, but the message text leaves much to be desired.
If you've popped the hood, you'll get that message rather than the level display. If you leave it as is, it can be 60 miles before you see a level display again.
Instead, you need to take a trip to get the engine warm and then park it level. Then turn everything off. Then turn on only the ignition and go into the oil level display. You'll see the same message. Sit and wait. After 30-60 seconds, you'll get your oil level display.
I have no idea why the fiasco with getting the display otherwise.

I would add 500mL and see where the level goes up to. Then you'll have some idea of the range on your display bar.
Then see how far you get before it comes back to the same level, and you'll know roughly how many km you're getting per .5L.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
I recently figured out the trick to getting the oil level display working after opening the hood.
It makes sense once you know, but the message text leaves much to be desired.
If you've popped the hood, you'll get that message rather than the level display. If you leave it as is, it can be 60 miles before you see a level display again.
Instead, you need to take a trip to get the engine warm and then park it level. Then turn everything off. Then turn on only the ignition and go into the oil level display. You'll see the same message. Sit and wait. After 30-60 seconds, you'll get your oil level display.
I have no idea why the fiasco with getting the display otherwise.

I would add 500mL and see where the level goes up to. Then you'll have some idea of the range on your display bar.
Then see how far you get before it comes back to the same level, and you'll know roughly how many km you're getting per .5L.
Excellent, this is what I am looking for :-) Let me try once I get the warning light and see how it works on my car!

Quick Reply: Engine oil indicator level measurement