A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Engine oil indicator level measurement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
At 3 months you did 2000 miles and you are down 3/4 of a quart of oil. So thats about 670 miles a month times 9 more months to July which is another 6000 miles. So in 8000 miles you'll use about 3 quarts of oil. Now depending on how you drive or whether you put on more miles you may need more oil. Then again this will get worse in the future. Keep it topped up
@jagtoes
I have read this sentence in many post and it keeps me thinking of it "this will get worse in the future"

So in my case, for now I am getting roughly 2400-2500 miles/quart and unfortunately, I have to convince myself to live with this :-(

Questions,

Will it get worse in the future(in all cases)? If yes, it depends on how many KMs we drive further or how we drive and take care of it ?

Also, are there any useful advice to prevent this and stay with this level of usage?

"BTW, I am not a crazy driver!" will drive this car during weekends and mostly along with family.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sasikals26
@jagtoes
I have read this sentence in many post and it keeps me thinking of it "this will get worse in the future"

So in my case, for now I am getting roughly 2400-2500 miles/quart and unfortunately, I have to convince myself to live with this :-(

Questions,

Will it get worse in the future(in all cases)? If yes, it depends on how many KMs we drive further or how we drive and take care of it ?

Also, are there any useful advice to prevent this and stay with this level of usage?

"BTW, I am not a crazy driver!" will drive this car during weekends and mostly along with family.
It is difficult to say when it will get worse but it will. The problem is with wear of the piston rings. The longer you go in between oil changes the more contaminates are in the oil and will contribute to usage. The fix that was in a class action suit was to replace the pistons and rings in the defective engines. I don't believe there is anything that can be done to prevent the wear other than to not drive the car. Also as the oil level drops the oil temps go up and increase the tendency to wear. So keep it topped up and enjoy the car. When you look at any Audi with these engines take a look at the exhaust pipe. The only time you see a clean crome tip is either when it's new or someone took the time to clean them. They are black.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It is difficult to say when it will get worse but it will. The problem is with wear of the piston rings. The longer you go in between oil changes the more contaminates are in the oil and will contribute to usage. The fix that was in a class action suit was to replace the pistons and rings in the defective engines. I don't believe there is anything that can be done to prevent the wear other than to not drive the car. Also as the oil level drops the oil temps go up and increase the tendency to wear. So keep it topped up and enjoy the car. When you look at any Audi with these engines take a look at the exhaust pipe. The only time you see a clean crome tip is either when it's new or someone took the time to clean them. They are black.
"Also as the oil level drops the oil temps go up and increase the tendency to wear. So keep it topped up "
Good to know and thanks for your inputs!