A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Engine replaced under warranty

Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine replaced under warranty

On Tuesday 8 October my wife calls me on her way home for lunch and said that her 2012 A4 with 25000 miles is running very rough and has a blinking check engine light. She pulled over and shut it off. I called Audi and they sent out the roadside assistance tow truck. The nearest dealership was 150 miles away so that's where the took it. They diagnosis was a leaking fuel injector in the #3 cylinder. They replaced the injector and spark plug because it was fouled and cleaned the carbon deposits. When the re started the car it still had a severe miss and the blinking check engine light. They performed a compression check and found that the #3 had 0 psi compression. All other cylinders had 140 psi. When they tore the engine down they found gasoline in the oil and a broken ring on the #3 piston causing a scarred cylinder wall. They replaced the engine with a brand new unit. Should I be concerned about future resale or trade in values since the engine has been replaced? Also, does this happen very often? We have enjoyed the car very much and it was a little disappointing that this happened.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

While it can happen, it's a very rare occurrence for an engine to be replaced. It won't hurt your resale value at all and in fact could increase it with a private sale as the engine will be 25K miles newer. Be sure to save all your service documentation.
As to the new engine warranty, I'm guessing it will be equal to the remainder of the factory 4 years/48K miles as left on the rest of the car.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While it can happen, it's a very rare occurrence for an engine to be replaced. It won't hurt your resale value at all and in fact could increase it with a private sale as the engine will be 25K miles newer. Be sure to save all your service documentation.
As to the new engine warranty, I'm guessing it will be equal to the remainder of the factory 4 years/48K miles as left on the rest of the car.
Yes, the remaining warranty on the car will cover for the next 2 years. They told me to bring the car in after 5000 miles and they will do a complimentary oil change. I haven't decided if we will keep it or sell and buy another new Audi. The trade in numbers they gave me were not really there so private party will be the way if I decide to sell.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Within the last 6 weeks, I've had all 4 injectors replaced (on two separate occasions). The symptoms were the same as yours, but luckily I didn't need the engine to be replaced.