A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

EPC and CEL + power loss and shake.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting that when brand new 45k$ car needs to be towed twice in two weeks because it cant drive people are saying it is really no big deal.
I wonder what would they be saying if that was hyundai or kia?
For the record i owned 2002 sonata for 3 years 75k miles,2005 nissan murano for 4 years 100k miles and 2011 santafe for 2 years 45 k miles,non of them never broke down and needed to be towed.
I do love my Audi , how it drives ,looks and is build and hope that i have reached my brake downs limit.Im saving for Stasis tune and exhoust ,and later maybe some shocks and springs.This car is going to stay with us for 5 years.I know that with cars beeing so complexs thre will be hicups and problems,but i would like them to be fixed during scheduled service,not ambushing me on saturday night on my way to the movies.
I want to be able to enjoy my new car from the beginning and for the years to come.After summer we will be looking for another car(this time for me) and i was thinking S5 or S4,but now who knows.New Genasis specR with 348hp looks interesting too.
Bart.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter how anyone SUGARCOATS it,Audis look cool,have great design,are fun to drive,very safe,but are,compared to Asian cars and even some American cars,over complex pieces of ****.
We have owned over 8 Audis,and if I did not own a VW/Audi repair business,I would want NOTHING to do with Audis.
What Honda/Toyota do you EVER hear of needing fuel systm parts at 900-1K miles and 15K miles?
I own a 2012 S4,and my wife has a 2009 A4 Avant 2.0T,and they have been good cars,but I have a MT6,and the wife has a AT quattro,but the FWD CVT's and A6 are the worse,hell Audi can barely make a glovebox that holds up.
There is way to much planned obsolescence in VAG products,and the some of the trans/and electronics are unreliable garbage.
But hey,they look cool,right?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wanted to add,I have changed injectors in FSI cars that had 27K-40K miles and that is just unacceptable. The FSI had fuel pump issues,and a few TFSI ones arte starting to rear its head. Audis solution for the carbon buildup? Put more crap in te motor,now they will have low and high pressure injectors,so a 4 banger will have 8 injectors! yeah,2X the crap to break.
I am not complaining,it is job security for me,but I have sincere sorrow for the people that have to deal with it.
It is like a Apple computer,nkice on the outside,but sometimes rife with hidden internal problems. To the OP,sorry you had to get a lemon. FOr teh guy with the 5 dealer visits,you should LEMON LAW it!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I would be shocked if I had a new car that had to be towed twice within the span of weeks. Personally, I don't know anyone with a new car that broke down multiple times early in the ownership period and I have never had a car rendered undriveable in my life, so I would not consider the OP's experience normal or acceptable. Hopefully, he has better luck with his car in the future.

Last edited by JD15; 03-09-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
...I have never had a car rendered undriveable in my life...
It's either luck or you have many years ahead of you!
And you must have driven mostly new cars.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
No matter how anyone SUGARCOATS it,Audis look cool,have great design,are fun to drive,very safe,but are,compared to Asian cars and even some American cars,over complex pieces of ****.
What you fail to realize is that Audis are fun to drive and very safe precisely because they are "over complex pieces of ****". German carmakers are engineering innovators who are always at the forefront of new technology while Asians and Americans just copy 10+ year old German tech. Look at the new Cadillac ATS, for example. Its designer admitted that GM benchmarked the E46 3-series when they were developing the ATS. Not too impressive, considering that the E46 design is 15 years old!

And having seen what happens when a BMW collides with a Honda (minor injuries for the BMW driver and everyone dead in the Honda), I'd rather drive an "over complex pieces of ****" than a "simple" Asian tin bucket.

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
What Honda/Toyota do you EVER hear of needing fuel systm parts at 900-1K miles and 15K miles?
My friend's Acura went through four (yes, four) automatic transmissions in a three year lease period. Transmission problems are endemic with many Honda and Nissan products. Toyota had huge sludging issues with tis V6 motors...the idea that Japanese cars are super reliable is nothing but a myth. They may be a *little* more reliable than German cars on average, but that's because they are less technologically advanced. Take a base model Golf TDI and it will be just as reliable as any Japanese car.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
It's either luck or you have many years ahead of you!
And you must have driven mostly new cars.
I've only been driving for 13 years, but my first car was an eight year old Nissan 240SX with 150,000 miles, which was towed two fewer times during its life than the OP's new A4.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Monza,your friend probably had the CVT trans in his Asian car as well. Yes EVERY car has issues,but non as often and as expensive as German cars,if yo haven't figured that out by now,then you are out of the loop.
Audis are famous for electrical issues as well as transmission and interior materials issues. I have had 2 Audis that were 5-6 years old and the headliners started sagging,the window switches get "gooey" and "peel" not to mention the LCD displays on the intsrument cluster crapping out,ABS computers,I can go on & on...........there is a dedicated industry for rebuilding German car controllers/instrument clusters of all sorts which has sprouted due to these common issues.
Don't get me wrong,I am the dumbass that just dropped 57K on a new S4,but like I said,if I had to PAY for repairs & maintenance I would be driving Honda/Toyota for sure!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Disappointed

Similar situation happened to me last night, a raining and cold night in Houston. My 2012 a4 broke down with shaking and a burning smell under the rain. Epc and mil lights were on. No idea what happened. The car is in dealers hands now. They will check it on Monday. Can't believe it happen to my a4 less than a year old.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keileon
Similar situation happened to me last night, a raining and cold night in Houston. My 2012 a4 broke down with shaking and a burning smell under the rain. Epc and mil lights were on. No idea what happened. The car is in dealers hands now. They will check it on Monday. Can't believe it happen to my a4 less than a year old.
Sorry to hear that.How many miles on yours?
Please let us posted.

Quick Reply: EPC and CEL + power loss and shake.