AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   ESP fault after replacing the wipers lever (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/esp-fault-after-replacing-wipers-lever-2880737/)

EuSebyU1 03-20-2015 12:12 AM

ESP fault after replacing the wipers lever

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I recently removed the steering wheel of my Audi A4, 2009 to replace its wipers lever with a BC lever. After I installed everything the lever works perfectly, but it gives me some errors related to the "Steering Angle Sensor (G85)" and the ESP does not work anymore.

Before I disassembled the steering wheel, I removed the battery terminals as I read on the forums and I was careful not to broke anything in the process. After installation I tried to calibrate the sensor as described in this link: Audi A5 (8T) Steering Wheel Electronics - Ross-Tech Wiki

I managed to go to the "16-Steering Wheel", inserted code 40168 to "Security Access" then go to "Basic Settings - 04" and while rotating the steering wheel it shows how many degrees it is rotated. The problem is that when I try to activate the "Basic Settings ON / OFF" it says: ERROR: Group 001 Not Available.

Because it shows me how many degrees the steering wheel is rotated, I thought that the sensor is not broken, but the log shows me "Defective". Do you know what steps can I follow with the VCDS to make sure if the sensor works or not?

I attached the full log, so you can look of it.

Thank You!

deezell 03-20-2015 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by EuSebyU1 (Post 24667785)
Hello,

I recently removed the steering wheel of my Audi A4, 2009 to replace its wipers lever with a BC lever. After I installed everything the lever works perfectly, but it gives me some errors related to the "Steering Angle Sensor (G85)" and the ESP does not work anymore.

Before I disassembled the steering wheel, I removed the battery terminals as I read on the forums and I was careful not to broke anything in the process. After installation I tried to calibrate the sensor as described in this link: Audi A5 (8T) Steering Wheel Electronics - Ross-Tech Wiki

I managed to go to the "16-Steering Wheel", inserted code 40168 to "Security Access" then go to "Basic Settings - 04" and while rotating the steering wheel it shows how many degrees it is rotated. The problem is that when I try to activate the "Basic Settings ON / OFF" it says: ERROR: Group 001 Not Available.

Because it shows me how many degrees the steering wheel is rotated, I thought that the sensor is not broken, but the log shows me "Defective". Do you know what steps can I follow with the VCDS to make sure if the sensor works or not?

I attached the full log, so you can look of it.

Thank You!

It's a long shot, but while reading another forum to try and figure my ESP fault, (similar to yours, check DTC etc. problem in mine is sporadic) I came acrossa comment regarding the 'clock spring' in the steering wheel, whose purpose is to provide a ground for the wheel during rotation. If this is broken, or partially connected, apparently you can get rotational information from the sensor, on VCDS, but there will be blank spots, and subsequent faults. Maybe this is the problem, as you removed the wheel. I read about this spring a long time ago also, and it put me off getting a trip computer lever for my A6, I can just read the MPG using the torque app on my phone.

EuSebyU1 03-23-2015 12:18 AM

Thank you for the reply. It seems that I need to go to a service and verify if the sensor is broken.