A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe they aren't fixing it on the 2012s with the old 2.0T. The class action should have covered the engine, not the model year. Audi cutting corners again...
Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have early 2012 A4 (60K miles), I bought it at the end of 2011. Now its eating 1qt per 1K miles. So, i am in phase 1 of consumption test. They also said they can't tell anything until result of the test is there.
I am not paying 6K for this work for sure ....
They already changed PCV valve for free though.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is this thread serious or not? So many single post users responding????

Is this thread serious or not? I see comments from different users with only one post. It is a bit hard for me to believe so many new people join the forum to reply this thread only. Or it is just a single person with multiple accounts? If yes, not funny! as I truly look for a 2012 or a 2013 in a hope this issue is over, and this is a bit misleading
Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnelP
Is this thread serious or not? I see comments from different users with only one post. It is a bit hard for me to believe so many new people join the forum to reply this thread only. Or it is just a single person with multiple accounts? If yes, not funny! as I truly look for a 2012 or a 2013 in a hope this issue is over, and this is a bit misleading
Um...yeah this is serious. Why would anyone lie about oil consumption? Just buy a Toyota. The oil consumption problem is pretty widespread on the B8 from 2009-2012. (There is a 2013 mentioned in this thread but that is very rare and sounds like they had a very early 2013 model year production vehicle.) Check out audizine for more info on oil consumption.

Last edited by DeltaRover; 12-18-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My kids 1st Audi was a 2006 A4 quattro. Got it with 30K miles and it burned a quart every 2700 miles. When we hit 55K it was burning a quart every 1500 miles. Traded it in for a 2009 A4 when we hit 60K miles. Now the 2009 had 20K miles when we bought it and we found it would go about 4000 miles on a quart . This was the norm for another 20K miles and it started to use a quart every 3000 miles. Kept it for another 20K miles and dumped it. Bought a 2015 and it now has 30K miles on it and is dealer maintained . We get an oil change every 5000 miles and to date it has not shown any oil loss either on the E-gauge or the dip stick. So far the only costs other then fuel and oil changes has been a set of tires when we hit 30K.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2012 has 60k and have not noticed any oil consumption at all, but am keeping a keen eye on it.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skysis
At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Audi addressing the issue with a 2012 A4? I know that the class action only covered vehicles through 2011, and now has expired. I spoke to them today, and found them to be very reluctant to say anything before the oil consumption test is done. They did mention that the early 2012 models were affected by this problem, however. I know the car will fail the test, so can anyone advise as to what may be the next step on Audi's part? Should I even bother, and just trade the thing in, skipping the aggravation & cost (around $200-300)? Thanks.
Lets start with the basics, go from there. What engine oil are you using? Castrol Syntect from the dealer? Noooo. Make sure you use Motul 8100 Excess. Just because Audi blesses that particular oil doesn't mean it's the best for our engines. The VW 505s specs and stuff are [now] 10+ year old specs. Castrol Syntec [was] good old when it came out...20 years ago. But Motul 8100 Excess is in a whole different league when compared to Castrol Syntec. See how that goes for you...
Old 12-19-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JoA4Sline
Lets start with the basics, go from there. What engine oil are you using? Castrol Syntect from the dealer? Noooo. Make sure you use Motul 8100 Excess. Just because Audi blesses that particular oil doesn't mean it's the best for our engines. The VW 505s specs and stuff are [now] 10+ year old specs. Castrol Syntec [was] good old when it came out...20 years ago. But Motul 8100 Excess is in a whole different league when compared to Castrol Syntec. See how that goes for you...
You’re so smart.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nothing like burning a more expensive oil to fix your engine! Motul isn't going to make it better, it is good oil, but I think Jo must be a Motul dealer or something since he brings it up a lot. Look at the tests yourself, there are a billion posts and test results that you can analyze. If you have any doubt, send a sample every oil change to blackstone or a similar facility. I have used Mobil 1 and have no issues, but do I conclude that it's the best and your car wouldn't burn oil if you had used it all along? Nope. You can pump all the most expensive oil you want into it and it'll burn the same until you figure out the cause of the issue. You could have a 2009 and run nothing but the "best" oil in it and the chances are you will still need to get some form of oil consumption fixes because of the design and manufacturing of the engine.

To get back to the post, there is an oil consumption chart on Audizine in the buyers guide that discusses the vehicles that burned oil, for 2010 58% had it, 2012 9% had it. It might be out of date info from 2015, but gives you an idea. It is possible on this year and I would guess that if you raised enough hell you could get AoA to cover the changes since they are going to be based on the same design issues. Any success (or failure) stories for the 2012 year vehicles would be good to have in your back pocket.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lol Motul is available on most car care shelves Dr. Awesome. I assure you I don't earn a penny pumping Motul. Why don't you and other members save bandwidth and follow my advice? If an experienced A4 owner is telling you Motul 8100 is a GREAT oil why wouldn't you just run out and buy some? I mentioned in another post that I have now solved oil burn issues in 3 A4s using Motul. I am looking into a connection between engine codes [meaning an Audi issue they fixed up in I think 2012 onwards iterations of the engine] and the oil. I can tell you that in terms of oils Castrol Syntec is grade 3. Motul is well into Grade 4. 5 is racing oil which you cannot use in a daily driver [reason why is it doesn't have detergents to remove toxins and build up from the engine: race oil is a 1-2 day oil max then drain].

But the oil burn issue aside...I think you guys are missing the point:

Wouldn't you WANT to use the BEST oil for your vehicle?

I mean my car was $51k...why would I take something absolutely essential [like engine oil] loosely and risk reducing the enjoyment I will have from years of driving my A4????

I encourage all of you to go out, get Motul 8100 Excess and an Audi OEM filter...try that out for a few thousand kilometres and THEN get back to me.

If after doing so you can prove that I am a wing nut I will accept your comments.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model