A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

Old 02-22-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HEGZ
Having the same problem on a 2012a4 sline bought 6 months ago. Oil indicator on after 2k miles. Pretty sure if I take it to audi they’ll refuse do fix it with no cost. That’s what I call a lemon. Any other way of fixing this whithout spending a fortune?
Bought a used 2012 S Line Avant in March 2017 with about 65k miles. No issues all summer. In November I had oil changed at 75k and now at 77.7k I just received a Min Oil warning while driving home from work.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Willabus
Bought a used 2012 S Line Avant in March 2017 with about 65k miles. No issues all summer. In November I had oil changed at 75k and now at 77.7k I just received a Min Oil warning while driving home from work.
Audi will call that normal so fill it up and wait until it goes off again. Good luck as it will get worse. Just remember before you sell or trade it in make sure the oil is full.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I read these boards before I purchased my 2012 Audi A4, and even subscribed to Consumer Report, but I thought I was safe.....but two days into owning my 2012 Audi A4 with 78K miles on it, I get a warning light coming on telling me I have NO oil and needing to put some in immediately. Bought my car in January of 2018, I have been in the shop more days then I have owned the car. The dealership I purchased it at claims ignorance, but I have a feeling they knew that the car was having issues before selling. Luckily (if I can call it that) I purchased an extended warranty on my vehicle. Still I have had to bring the car in multiple times....related to the old issue, when I brought it in initially for their 1st leg of the consumption test, they told me my breather hose was bad ($600) of work, but my warranty paid for most of that. A week later, I am on my test, my water pump explodes, and the same day (just as my oil was about to run out again) I get a defective sensor all of the sudden. I am a couple of miles above the 600 miles, I have maybe a quart left in my car (oil) and I need to call the audi dealership because I feel like the car is close enough to warrant the fixes, but not sure how much of a stickler they will be in the fact that the light hasn't came on. I am wondering if anyone with a 2012 has came close to the same issue (Oil Consumption) yet the car just didn't ever have the sensor come on?

This was my first luxury car purchase, and one that has been a nightmare. I have spent over $2k in repairs in less than two months....if it was not for my Extended Warranty I would have had to try to deal with all of these repairs completely out of pocket. I see the plus's of why people love Audi's......but darn if I can't see why people keep buying these cars when problems like this happen. I chalk it up to the same reason why I keep playing roulette. Something about them is just too darn addictive.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My 2011 oil consumption experience

Since we bought a 2011 A4 with 8k miles second-hand and not CPO, we were never notified of the settlement. It expired at 80k miles. Our oil consumption has gotten progressively worse, so we asked a dealer to investigate. With 82k miles, Audi has denied our request to repair the car. They claim insufficient documentation because I changed the oil myself. I used the proper specified oil and have dates and mileage logs, which they ignored.

Interestingly, we first visited Audi of Nashua NH with only 78k miles and were told there is nothing that can be done. If not for that lie, we might have gotten settlement coverage before it expired.

I could have run the car on olive oil and it wouldn't have caused this manufacturing defect. Its disappointing and so frustrating. Note I wouldn't buy a dog from the liars at Audi of Nashua, NH.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by skysis
At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Audi addressing the issue with a 2012 A4? I know that the class action only covered vehicles through 2011, and now has expired. I spoke to them today, and found them to be very reluctant to say anything before the oil consumption test is done. They did mention that the early 2012 models were affected by this problem, however. I know the car will fail the test, so can anyone advise as to what may be the next step on Audi's part? Should I even bother, and just trade the thing in, skipping the aggravation & cost (around $200-300)? Thanks.
We have a 2012 A4. The oil consumption problem first appeared in 2015. We paid for the service, they replaced some parts and we were good for a while. The problem returned early 2018. The car is now out of warranty, has over 100,000 miles and has had oil changes at places other than Audi Dealerships. Therefore they will not help us with the repair costs. We were quoted almost $6,000 to replace the pistons and rings. If the issue is allowed to go much longer it could cost us $12-$15k for a new engine. We already put almost $1,000 into getting the issue diagnosed. At this point the $6k is hard to justify when the car is only worth $10k and is prone to having issues.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well,

2012 B8, burning 1.76 L, per 1000 miles. The best safeguard if buying might be to do the compression test at AUDI before buying, or get in writing that if the car ends up out of spec it will be taken care of. My car is about to go under the knife at 87,000, 3000 of those miles on me. It went out of AUDI warranty for the issue at 80,000, even though (according to AUDI corporate) it would have been handled until 80,000 miles under the extended class action warranty. YES early 2012's DO have the issue, or can. I have been hassling with an Audi dealer for 5 weeks to get the issue resolved and bought the car under a drivetrain warranty, so it will get the pistons and rings on them. I'm not really sure if AUDI is helping them on their dealer warranty repairs or not, but I don't really care. It's not me is all that matters and they knew the risk of selling this with a warranty far better than I understood when purchasing.

I think this issue will be fixed by the piston/ ring job. It seems that about 90% or higher success rate with the piston ring job.

However, the 2.0T's in all Audi's and VW's till 2013 also have the potential to have the sticking timing chain tensioner. The one in my car is the old style, hence.. I will be buying parts and about 1-hour labor on that essential job.

While the motor is removed I will be putting my cash in parts and saving several hours to do the chain rework and all additional related parts. I am considering also the water pump, but the service writer tells me they can check it out and advise. I know I will also save labor cleaning the valves when the heart of this dream machine is on the operating table, but what else is there that should be considered at this time??????

What other major, inaccessible, failures might I expect out of my A4 B8 ????

Any other major labor jobs to look at while this motor is out of the car and on a hook???

Please advise.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Excessive Oil Consumption in 2012 A4

I have this affliction now as well, just under 1000 miles per quart. My question is, What is farthest anyone has driven without getting the fix and adding the quarts of oil. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They do not remove the motor for the piston replacement. It is all done in the car.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A4 2.0 Avant - huge oil consumption problem

Mileage: 65k
Even after using top quality oil, the oil light was coming on every 2-300 miles. The dealer did the oil consumption test and the car is way over the threshold of normal. Audi knew it had a problem with this engine when it did a recall with earlier models and then made no changes to this engine. None of these cars are lemons because this is a known built-in structural problem with the car. Audi should fix this issue since it seems to be part of the same fraudulent practice — denying that they’re aware of known problems with manufacturing. I love my car and want to drive for many more years so this is very frustrating. It’s such a well made and beautiful vehicle except for this large and well known problem. The only option is for them to open it up. If it’s the pistons it’ll be $3K at least. If it’s the engine it’ll be $6K. I hope Audi reads this forum and addresses this — they should cover these repairs.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default This sucks

Originally Posted by myth0s
Hi skysis, we just bought a used 2012 Audi A4 (115k mileage) and just discovered it has this cursed problem. It burns a quart in 200 miles... that is not a typo... every 200 miles we now have to top it off.

We are about to call the local dealer. We bought it from a non-Audi dealer, so not sure about getting a free repair.

We were foolish to not do more homework on this; we hear of the problem for model years up to 2011, so we too thought it safe to get a 2012. Turns out, some cars were made with the old 2.0 engine in 2012.

Anyone have any advice?
I'm looking for advice, too. Just got a 2012 A4 a week and a half ago and have had to add a quart of oil every 300 miles .It's ridiculous. I wish I had known this stuff before I got this damn car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model