A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Extended Warranty for Fuel Injectors from AoA

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Extended Warranty for Fuel Injectors from AoA

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I got a letter in the mail the other day from AoA, informing me that the warranty for the fuel injectors for my 2.0 TFSI engine has been extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

It cited a faulty fuel injector that "may cause minor misfire conditions and, in turn, cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on the instrument cluster to illuminate due to the presence of specific fault codes caused by this component."

Audi notes that this warranty is transferrable to the next owner. They also will reimburse anybody who previously paid for replacement of a faulty fuel injector.

Nice to see that AoA is looking out for us.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the letter yesterday too! (Though I have no symptoms or injector problems yet.)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my letter yesterday, too. Interesting in that I don't especially recall this as being a major issue on our forum here. Yet.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian Cecil
I got my letter yesterday, too. Interesting in that I don't especially recall this as being a major issue on our forum here. Yet.
It could be smoke and mirrors to show good will for the upcoming oil-consumption class-action. Like, see, we have acknowledged the injector problem in this engine and we are extending the warranty for it, but the oil consumption is within our published specs in most vehicles and it is not considered a design or manufacturing issue.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This letter came out because of pressure from the California Air Resources Board (CARB.) Enough CAEB engines failed smog check with the same misfire codes due to failed injectors. This is not the first time this happened.

CARB went after Ford in the late eighties for an injector problem. The dealers were making a killing on warranty work because Ford paid the dealer the same as a car owner would. The injectors had a list price of about $120. each and the warranty manual allowed 1.0 hour to replace them. When all the math was done the dealer was making about $550. profit on each car.

The sharp pencil boys at Ford solved the problem. First they recalculated the repair time to 0.8 hours, and lowered the list price of the injector to $ 1.75. Now the dealers were earning about $30 profit on each unit.

I have a few misfires (less than 10) stored in my ECU at the moment on cyl 3 and 4. Maybe I'll go in next week for some new injectors!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also received a letter yesterday. I have had no such issues on my A4, but 10 days ago we were headed to Maine in my wife's A3 and were travelling at 60+ mph when lights came on and the car almost completely lost power. It was all that I could do to get over to the side of the road. Audi sent a tow truck and the car was towed to Portland. It was a fuel injector problem and was fixed on Monday, but this episode has seriously shaken my wife's confidence in her A3.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2011 had fuel injector issues with about 18k miles on it, but my experience was different then what the letter described. I was in the fast lane going 80-85 on the 5 freeway heading to San Diego. My car felt like it was running out of gas, but when i looked in my rear view mirror, I saw tons of white smoke coming out of the tail pipes. The car stank horribly of gas and the check engine light was on,luckily I managed to get the car off the freeway. I used the road side assistance and the car was towed to the dealer.

The dealer said one of my fuel injectors had a bad seal, and it basically flooded my engine. It took them 2 days to fix it, and I had to take an half day off work to head from OC to San Diego to pick it up.

This was the first issue I had with the car and raised my concerns. Shortly after this i noticed the oil consumption issues. I took the car in for stage 1 and it did not fix it.

Atleast they now acknowledge the fuel injector issue, hopefully they will do the same with the oil consumption problem.

I traded in my Audi, and the issues I experienced chased me away from the brand.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 A4 extended warranty for fuel injector

Where can I find out info about this extended warranty for the fuel injectors?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone know what model years are involved? That engine is in several other models (A6, Q5, A5, etc.) - are these involved as well?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Does the extension cover camshaft issues

I took my Audi to the dealership because my car was not always starting on the first attempt. It sounded like it was trying to and then just wouldn't. Also when I'm doing around 70 and celebrat my car was not always starting on the first attempt. It sounded like it was trying to and then just wouldn't. Also when I'm doing around 70 and accelerate The car feel shaky. They told me it would cost around $400 just to diagnose the problem. They said it was probably the camshaft issue. They said it could cost eight to $10,000. it's an 09 which I bought in 2011 certified preowned. They extended the warranty for the fuel injection system. Is this covered under that? I already had to have all my Pistons replaced which was covered under warranty due to the oil consumption on my 2009 A4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty for Fuel Injectors from AoA