A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

fairly bad oil consumption issue, mechanic thinks rebuild is in my future

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fairly bad oil consumption issue, mechanic thinks rebuild is in my future

8/26/2015 bought the car. (89,992)
8/28/2015 already needed to add oil (maybe 50 miles after?)
9/3/2015 more oil! (200 miles after first time adding)
9/14/2015 more oil again! (around 500 this time)
9/26/2015 my "add oil" light came on leaving Starbucks

When I got oil the first time, the guy at Auto Zone told me an engine rebuild might be needed in about 10k, but he works at Auto Zone.
When I got the "add oil" light today, my mechanic is leaning towards me going after the dealership, considering the engine was inspected at Audi Erie right before they listed it for sale.

Does anyone else have some thoughts? I bought this car expecting it to not screwing me over as much as my BMW, since it is newer and less miles. Also, has anyone had similar problems with oil burning this fast?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know that oil consumption is an issue for these cars, but still.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...steps-2839060/

BR, welcome aboard!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brjones
I know that oil consumption is an issue for these cars, but still.
This oil burning did not just start. It has been going on for many miles. If the dealer didn't know or if they had no history you got what you got. Either try to return it or force Audi to fix it.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
This oil burning did not just start. It has been going on for many miles. If the dealer didn't know or if they had no history you got what you got. Either try to return it or force Audi to fix it.
Yeah that's the funny thing. My car was at Audi Erie a few days before it was offered for sale, which was a week before I bought it. I bought it from a non-Audi dealership with only a 1 month/1,000 mile warranty because my dad decided for whatever reason that I did not need one. It has been exactly a month today that I have owned it and I have driven about 1,050 miles. I'm not exactly sure why I bought another car from this dealership because I bought my BMW at the same place a year ago, which screwed me over big time.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Will it be covered at all, considering my mileage?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brjones
Will it be covered at all, considering my mileage?
The only way you will know is when you take it to an Audi dealer and get their position on it. They can check vin# and see if any oil consumption claim had been on the car and if they have any maintenance history. They will most likely recommend the consumption tests and go from there. With 89K miles you are out of the repair window that Audi would fix this but maybe if you push hard enough they will take care of it. Good luck
Old 09-29-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF YOUR CAR WAS MANUFACTURED BEFORE 2012 ,MOST LIKELY IT NEEDS NEW PISTONS AND RINGS, ONCE THEY PERFORM THE OIL CONSUMPTION TEST,THAT WILL BE THE NEXT MOVE. TRUST ME I HAD IT DONE.THEN THE OIL CONSUMPTION WILL STOP.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
IF YOUR CAR WAS MANUFACTURED BEFORE 2012 ,MOST LIKELY IT NEEDS NEW PISTONS AND RINGS, ONCE THEY PERFORM THE OIL CONSUMPTION TEST,THAT WILL BE THE NEXT MOVE. TRUST ME I HAD IT DONE.THEN THE OIL CONSUMPTION WILL STOP.
We have already established that this needs done. Whether or not it will be covered under Audi is a whole new sheet of music. It's going to come down to whether or not I am going to pay for the repairs, if Audi will cover it, or if my dad will pay for it. He's already put $4,000 into my cars over the past year and I hate asking him for more money.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

BR, you need to engage your local dealer and see how they can help.

Quick Reply: fairly bad oil consumption issue, mechanic thinks rebuild is in my future