A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

fan issues for Audi A4 2007 2.0T FSI

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan issues for Audi A4 2007 2.0T FSI

Hi, I have some fan issues with my Audi A4 2007 and would appreciate any feedback!
1.When I turn the engine on with the A/C on both fans run at low speed, duty cycle on main fan is 14.5%. If I turn the A/C off, both fans stop with duty cycle on main fan at 8.6%.
3.If I leave the car running until coolant temperature reaches 90°C, duty cycle is still at 8.6%, main fan does not start. If I keep the car running until coolant temperature hits 102°C, main fan still does not start with duty cycle at 8.6%. When I turn A/C on, both fans run at low speed.
4.If I stop the car, unplug coolant temperature sensor, start engine, both fans run at high speed (probably the highest speed). I checked resistance on coolant temp. sensor at around 100°C and it was 200 ohms (in spec).
5.With the engine off, ignition on, run output test, main fan runs from low to high speed according to duty cycle from 9% to 90%. Unplug fan control module, run output test again, duty cycle changes but fan does not run.
The control module seems fine, the coolant temperature sensor seems fine, engine temperature rises normal from outside temperature to 100°C in 15-20 min. Therefore, I think the thermostat is fine. I am afraid to run engine to a higher temperature. This car has only one temperature sensor (2 pin grey) on the coolant flange.
Is there anything else related that I missed? What would be the temperature for the fan to start? Thanks a lot!