A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

First post- 2010 A4 Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post- 2010 A4 Steering Issues

Hi There-

First post here. Apologies in advance if it's cheesy and way too long. I tried to break it up a little bit. Thanks for your time!

A little background on me {
TL;DR I've had an E39 BMW 528i/5MT Sport and I've been involved in BMW forums in the past. Unfortunately since you can only drive 2 blocks at a time in Boston even when there's no traffic, I found driving/maneuvering the BMW in the Boston commute rather infuriating. So completely new to Audi I recently purchased a 2010 A4 Avant with approx 112k miles in immaculate condition and demoted the 5er from daily driver to autocross duty.

So far I'm really pleased with the Audi's level of refinement and I'm excited to test it out in the snow (if it will ever snow here again...). It's much better in the city as it is much easier to drive. The chassis is far superior at dealing with road imperfections than my somewhat lowered 5 series.
} #End AboutMe

The actual problem{
Upon purchasing the A4, the seller (a small dealer) agreed to fix the one problem that it had, a slight knocking noise coming from within the steering system. Unfortunately after lots of troubleshooting at two different shops (one was the dealer) the root cause of problem is still unable to be identified. The good news is that car is derivable and perfectly safe; this issue is more annoying than anything.
}

Facts about the problem{
While turning the wheel (stationary or driving) lock to lock, you can feel a "bump" "knock" or "pop" sensation in the steering wheel.

It is particularly noticeable at lower speeds, like when making a left or right turn, in parking lot maneuvers etc... but can be noticed even at higher speeds like when going around a big rotary or cloverleaf ramp.

It is audible but it is very quiet, mostly just a feeling.

This issue only occurs while the car is at warm/operating temperature.
}

And so the saga begins{

After driving the car for about 4 days I brought the car back to the seller so he could have a look. He's been great by the way- really helpful and is staying with me which is really awesome. He agreed to have his in-house mechanic take a look at it and fix it. After leaving the car there for 3 days, they were not able to determine the cause of the sensation. They were however able to determine that the suspension/tie rods was completely tight and the issue was certifiably coming from within the steering system.

He asked me if I wanted to take it for a second opinion elsewhere, so I made an appointment at my local Audi dealer (Audi of Brookline) for a flat-rate $155 diagnosis and dropped the car off there hoping that they'd be able to take a more methodical/scientific approach to the diagnosis and write me a report. I had absolutely no intention of having them repair anything as their prices are completely insane.

So the service advisor called and stated that they'd like to change the power steering pump, as it was dropping pressure suddenly and then recovering, and then they were going to drive the car to determine if the rack needed to be changed as well. They said that the interruption in steering pressure was causing the sensation. The bill for the rack and pump would have been over $4,000. I told them not to do anything further and that I would pick up the car that afternoon.

Next thing I know I get an email from Audi stating that they have the car back in the garage and they're disassembling the dash to listen to the steering column with a stethoscope and re torque the bolts holding it in place. I stopped by the dealer that afternoon (this is yesterday) and it was indeed all pulled apart, but the tech was MIA. I agreed to leave the car overnight for further testing in the morning, still under the flat $155 diagnostic fee.

The next day (this morning) I get another email stating that they have found that the noise is in the steering column and they'd like to change that. I of course, told them to hold off. I'm collecting the car this afternoon.
}

So the truth is that I don't believe that Audi's diagnosis is accurate. First they were totally adamant that the pump was faulty, now they're totally adamant that the steering column is faulty. Vehicle operating temperature would have 0 effect on the steering column. It seems more like "parts throwing" and not "diagnostic."

Any Ideas or personal experience would be super helpful. I'm not annoyed or frustrated about this- I just want to find the problem and fix it objectively without replacing every single steering component.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 03-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went looking at my TSB program and saw that there is a Technical Service Bulletin that may apply to your issue. The TSB is number TSB-48-10-07 and its title is AUDI: SERVOTRONIC STEERING (1N3) SHUDDER AT LOW SPEED WHILE TURNING. WHILE DRIVING AT LOW SPEEDS (BELOW 5MPH), A SHUDDER OR KNOCKING NOISE WOULD OCCUR IN STEERING WHEEL WHEN TURNED DURING PARKING LOT MANEUVERS.

There is also a TSB about replacing the intermediate steering shaft, but it states something about the steering being "stiff" during turns and an updated intermediate shaft should be installed. That TSB is TSB-48-13-56.

I've gone ahead and printed out a report for the 2010 A4 that has steering in the affected component and attached it. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 10 Report.pdf (72.4 KB, 965 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same Problem

I had this same problem in my 2010 a4 Avant. Although I had it while still under warranty about 50k miles ago. As I'd turn left or right especially at slow speeds I'd feel a click. I took it to Audi and told my service advisor. They did some diagnostics and I think they replaced the steering column or some parts therein.
I've had no problems since.

Nothing to do with pump.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My wife has been complaining about something similar going on with her 2015 A4...
Click/rub felt while turning at slow speeds. Even feel it in the gas pedal.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't help you with the cause of your problem but I can tell you that Audi Brookline Service Dept is completely incompetent.
Hope you have gotten your car back ok. They are infamous for keeping cars for days to "diagnose" but they don't know how to "fix".
Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Slightly off topic, as I did not have any sound inside the cabin from my steering problem.

I was about to take my 2010 A4 with 90k miles on odometer in to dealer for heavy steering, which escalated over a few weeks from an occasional resistant tug on the wheel when parking all the way to where it is hard to steer while driving. Heavy effort indeed. Expected dealer to sell me new rack, new pump, new hoses. $2-4k. Don't want to tackle that sort of project myself in my garage in my spare time.

Yesterday I did the turkey baster fluid change with 2 quarts of Pentosin. Old fluid clear and light color, no detectable difference. New fluid is if anything slightly darker. I saw ugly black greasy stuff being pumped out on Youtube when I looked up how to change steering fluid- they had Fords under the camera. My old fluid seemed fine. No improvement at the wheel.

Jacked her up, reached in with can of WD40 on driver side behind the tire. From a foot away, sprayed down the u-joint on the steering shaft while a buddy spun the steering wheel side to side. It looked rusty and dirty. Became wet and dirty.

Instant 100% cure.

Followed up with Amsoil heavy duty spray lubricant, which dries to a nice messy waxy film.

This is completely incredible to me, that a modern German car's steering issue can be resolved with household spray lube. Incredible that the steering shaft lower joint is unprotected against weather. Not complaining, as this is an easy fix and the car has never let me down and the only unscheduled problems for this car was bad moonroof electrics fixed under warranty. I don't remember seeing this as a periodic lubrication item on the OEM maintenance chart.

Now I am thinking about preemptive replacement of the joint. Tiny roller bearings got bound up enough to resist a hard steering wheel effort, maybe near end of their tiny lives. Lots of labor and not a cheap part but far less than the hydraulics.

Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

Last edited by johnny ro; 03-20-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Cat Herder

If you want a reliable diagnosis, take it to an honest indie mechanic like Adv Technologies in Gloucester, MA. Or up my way at East Coast European in Greenland, NH. Rob @ Stratham Audi is also a very good tech but their rates are dealer rates...