A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Flywheel/clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel/clutch problem?

Hello everyone!
I'm hoping I can make my self understood with this post as english ain't my main language, but I'll give it a try.

I recently bought an Audi A4 2.0tdi, manual -2012 that im having some problems with.
Have tried to google the symptoms, but I haven't found anything that matches exacly.

I'm having a bit of a heartbeat/vibration in the clutch pedal when idling, also hear a faint thumping noise.
But only when i press the pedal and at bite point. Nothing when i have the foot of the pedal.
What i have read that can mean that the DMF is about to fail.
But I do not have any shuddering in the car, only the feeling in the pedal, and the faint thumping noise. If i'm listening in the engine bay/below car i can't hear any strange noises.
I have checked youtube for sounds on DMF failure, and i don't have anything like that.
Haven't noticed any slipping of the clutch.

The other problem which I think is related is when I go in 1-2-3 gear and shifting I can hear a noise that reminds me of a wastegate flutter. But maybe a bit more rattling noise than real wastegateflutter.
Thought from the beginning that it actualy was the air beeing sent back to the turbo and making that noise.
But i tested to go in to speed and releasing just the throttle (not touching the clutch) and not a sound.
But as soon as I press the clutch pedal it makes the noise?
It itsen't so bad at low revs, louder at 1800+ rpm.
Too me it sounds like something is happening in the clutch area and should not have to do with the turbo?

Is there anyone who have had this problem or anyone who can point me at some direction, cause i really don't know what to check at this point.

Happy for any answers about this!
// Kemppi
Old 05-04-2018, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be so many different things. Flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing. No way to really know until you crack it open. Find a good indy mechanics that knows these cars and have them take a look.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by treilley
Could be so many different things. Flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing. No way to really know until you crack it open. Find a good indy mechanics that knows these cars and have them take a look.
Yeah i guess i'll have to do that eventually.
I'm mosly just wondering if there is anything else than something with the clutch/flywheel that can make this noise/symptoms that is a little bit easier to look at myself?

Hate these kind of things, it would be a lot easier if the flywheel really made a racket so it would be obvious where the problem would be.
I mean, it's not cheap to take away the gearbox, and would feel like crap if there isn't any fault there. So i'm trying to check everything I can before I call the workshop
Old 05-24-2018, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bumping this thread a little.
As it is right now I have e-mailed the dealer I bought the car from with a couple of videos I made about the sounds the clutch makes.
I haven't heard from them yet. But I have a bad feeling they are not going to want to check the car.

Here's a video of the sounds the clutch makes when the car is off vs on. First little creak noise is from my shoe.
The clutch feeling is smooth when the car is off, but as soon as it is on you can hear a sound that I also feel in the pedal.
The noise is all the way from the bottom, but when clutch is fully released the noise disappears.

On this video I drive the car, you can hear the fluttering sound between shifts.

This video is also me driving, but between shifts i really let go of the throttle to show that the fluttering sound comes when I press the clutch pedal, and not when releasing throttle

On this video you can hear a squeaking noice from underneath the car. It does also make a little bit of noise inside the car too, but it's hard to hear on the video.

All these noises ar worse when I have been driving for a while. They are there when cold to, but a lot louder when hot.

Anyone who have had these noises on their car, and what was the solution for this?

Right now i'm waiting for the dealer to reply, and if they are not going to check the car i guess i'll have to go to a local workshop.
But out of curiosity i'm wondering is someone else have had these noises

// Kemppi