A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Headlight Malfunction

Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Malfunction

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and come seeking help. My 2009 A4 Quattro recently had headlight issues spring up; first one went out, then the following night the second also went. I checked the bulbs, and both were solidly burned out. So I replaced the bulbs. And they still will not turn on. I continue to get the "headlight malfunction" error on the dash.

The next most common problem seemed to be the headlight switch frying; so I switched that out as well. Still nothing. I should note that EVERY other light is still functional, including highbeams, hazards, fogs, etc. Just the lowbeams are not working. I am not super familiar with Audis (or German cars) as this is my first, but I've read there is no fuse for high/lowbeams on my particular model. Perhaps a relay? Information seems scarce on this, and any help would be appreciated!

-Dan
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Which headlights do you have? Xenon or Halogen?

If you have Xenon it could be a bad ballast.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, should have specified they are Halogen.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Some silly questions: Did you replace the right bulbs? Did you replace with bulbs of the correct ratings? Did you remember to plug the electrical connector after inserting the bulbs?

You could test the bulbs outside the vehicle with a battery or power supply. Then you could check if there is power at the headlight electrical connector, when on, with a multi-meter.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Iyceman
Some silly questions: Did you replace the right bulbs? Did you replace with bulbs of the correct ratings? Did you remember to plug the electrical connector after inserting the bulbs?

You could test the bulbs outside the vehicle with a battery or power supply. Then you could check if there is power at the headlight electrical connector, when on, with a multi-meter.
I replaced the bulbs with standard H7 bulbs, and I definitely plugged them both back in. I am guessing at this point it is either a blown relay, or a wire somewhere, but can't seem to find any type of schematic in order to figure out which relay it could be. I wish there was a simple fuse for it.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you thought about buying an OBD2 adapter and using the Carista app. I suggest it for issues like this as it can diagnose the issue and give you the fault code which allows you to investigate the issue further. I had a left LED DRL fault where the DRL would not turn on, and I was able to diagnose, and fix it without having to go to the dealer.