A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Headlight Range Control Defective

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Range Control Defective

Hi - I have a 2009 Audi A4 3.2 liter. I'm receiving a "Headlight Range Control Defective" error. I figured out the rear head light level sensor was broken. Seems like a poor design. I had to take off both the front and rear driver side wheels to figure out if one was broken. I purchased a used headlight level sensor (part # 8K0941309F) off eBay. I found it impossible to get the original (broken) headlight level sensor off because I couldn't find a tool to get the top bolt undone. But I was able to replace the broken arm which attaches to the axle (?) with the new part. It looks good and seems to be flexible enough. However, I'm still receiving the "Headlight Range Control Defective" error. Do I need to reset this error? With a VCDS (which I don't own)? I'm hoping the error isn't also due to an issue with the headlight. Thanks
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Well, if you've received an error (how did you conclude a headlight range control defective error without a DTC scan) and you believe you have resolved the source of the issue, then clear the DTCs and see if it comes back.
There is a basic setting adjustment for adjusting the headlight range, but this seems to require some special device that sits in front of the headlight.
The suspension service manual section mentions needing to redo this adjustment if, among other things, the level control system sensor was replaced or the level control system sensor coupling rod threaded connection was loosened at the lower transverse link.
Gets better. Apparently if you have lane assist, then after any reprogramming of the control position, you then also have to recalibrate the directional stabilization assistance control module. Geez.
There's a lower bolt and an upper bolt it seems. The upper bolt just says "remove with offset wrench" and "do not bend upper retaining plate when doing so"; no special tools are referenced. Apparently it means something shaped like this: https://www.europaparts.com/double-o...ch-10-8mm.html
Old 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SMac7770 – Thanks for the reply. I know the issue which caused the "Headlight Range Control Defective" error was due to the broken head light level sensor because I had the car into a mechanic who was doing other work. Said mechanic did a DTC scan with his device (I do not have one) and he told me the head light level sensor was broken. He did not tell me front or rear, and at the time I knew nothing about them. After some research I found out there are two, so I took off both tires to figure out which one was broken.

I have and tried using my offset wrench, however my 18mm offset wrench is too “offset” (big).

Overall, I should have asked my question in a more concise way. In order to clear the error code, I need a VCDS or have to take it to the mechanic. Who will charge me $75 to hook it up. Now I have to decide if I should bite the bullet and purchase one or take the car to him.

Last question – where did you find out all your information?

Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I try and do as much work as I can on my own because I frankly don't really trust service shops, dealership or otherwise. So I did a one day pass at erwin.audiusa.com and grabbed the service document PDFs relevant to my car (2009 A4 quattro 2.0T avant). And bought the cable from Ross-Tech to use VCDS. I can't stand that the car has a bunch of information about problems which Audi thinks the owner should not try to know. Just enables them to cover up things. That and the stupid 10k service interval reminder that cannot be disabled, so if you're not a moron and can change your own oil, you'd have to pay the dealership, as you said $75, just to reset it. I can do it myself with VCDS.

So owning an Audi comes down to two manners. You like to work on your own car, in which case you should have the diag tool and the documentation to do it correctly (as best as can be for the consumer without going into shop level costs). Or you have excess money and can just pay the dealership or shop whatever they want to keep your car running as you want. Unfortunately, doing it yourself can get expensive too due to the tools required, such as the headlight range calibration. So bite the bullet and visit a shop. Or having the right offset wrench for what might be a one time use. But to reset a warning light? Hell no.