A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

HELP - new audi buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - new audi buyer questions

Hello all, I have been a bmw guy for years but recently acquired a new job that required more travel and I live in Indiana where snow and ice can be plentiful so the A4 Quattro looked like a great choice, currently am driving my e30 daily. I found one that I believe is a perfect fit- S line, Prestige, 6 speed, 73,000 miles, and my favorite color. This car has a APR stage 1 tune and as far as work done it had the stage 2 service done at 50,000 miles for the oil consumption problem. I am just wondering what maintenance will need to be done soon or should have already been done. I am seeing people posting about timing tensioners, not sure if this car was upgraded during the stage 2 service (if someone could explain what the stage 2 means compared to stage 1 and 3 I would appreciate it), I know the water pump has gave some people trouble also. I have not owned a turbo car before so any suggestions there would help as well. I plan on driving this car about 5 days a week on 70 mile round trips highway until college starts in the fall then it will go down some to more city driving. Also, this car has the RS wheels and all the interior s line pieces, but does not have the dual exit pipes which I thought came with the s line's. Any and all answers would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jake
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I forgot to mention this particular car is a 2010, thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Do you know if they replaced the camshaft chain tensioner while doing the rings/piston work? (got the dealership work order, see if the part number for the tensioner K rev is on there)
I think the recently settled lawsuit for the tensioner failure, if it failed before being replaced and wrecked the engine, is 100k miles.
I think the warranty extensions for the manifold and injectors is 125k miles.
Do you know if it's had the turbo replaced? If not, you'll want to check for play in the lever that connects the actuator rod to the turbo housing. If it's got play in it's connection to the actuator rod, you'll want to see about getting that replaced under the warranty extension for that common issue.
You'll also want to check the diverter valve to see if it's the newer D rev or the older G rev. But if you're not popping codes and feel it's running fine, then leave it be. But if it's the G rev, it will go one day.
There's lots of stuff that can/will fail, but your big items to check prior to codes popping are the tensioner and turbo wastegate, and the diverter value if it is the G rev (no reason to run it longer than necessary if the diaphragm has finally started to tear).

If you don't have one, a "vag-com" cable from Ross-Tech is a nice tool to have for an Audi owner. Runs on Windows, so helps to have a laptop. There's also another one others use that runs on Android, forget the name.

APR stages are like Dinan stages, just higher tunes with extra hardware requirements. You can check out goapr.com. Stage 2 for the 2.0T is just adding a hi-flow cat/downpipe. Buy APR's and you get the stage 2 software upgrade tossed in. Use someone else's and you pay for the stage 2 software upgrade.

s-line is just looks pieces, no exhaust pieces. The Avant (Audi term for wagon) had the single pipe both sides exhaust in the B8.0 days (MY 2009-2012), but the sedan just had dual exits on a single side.

I suggest when you start it, you'll notice it goes to a high idle around 1100-1200, then eventually settles down to 700-800. I don't move out of Park until it settles to the low idle.
And if you run it hard, make sure you have a few minutes of low key driving before pulling into the garage and turning it off. If you've had the oil consumption work done, yours is probably like mine where it no longer runs the fans after you turn it off. But you should still hear a whine noise from the electric pump still moving oil through the turbo.

I did the I-69 end to end run up and back through IN last weekend. That's a hell of a lot of corn. And that IN-37 stretch can kiss my ***.

Welcome to hell.