A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How good is the Audi Navi system

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the Audi Navi system

Hi,

I am planning to order 11 A4 Quattro Premium plus package, wanted to get some feedback on how good the navigation system is before deciding if I should have that options added.

There were some people complaining the system is fairly slow in catching the GPS signal to work. Please do share your first hand experience.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
Hi,

I am planning to order 11 A4 Quattro Premium plus package, wanted to get some feedback on how good the navigation system is before deciding if I should have that options added.

There were some people complaining the system is fairly slow in catching the GPS signal to work. Please do share your first hand experience.

Thanks
Not having NAV I cannot personally provide first-hand experience, but did find this link where a number of opinions/comments are expressed that you may find informative:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2792071
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in the UK so it may be different but I've never had to wait for a signal ... unless the "navigation starting" screen means that. If so then I get it very rarely and it only take 15-20 secs before it's all done.

It had to be said that it's not as good as a Tomtom at a fraction of the price but the integration with voice control, lighting, phone directory, integrated installation etc all made it worthwhile for me.

In fact just the ergonomic postioning of the controls and the ability to play DVD's was probably enough.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the nav works flawlessly, besides the fact that the ergonomic postioning of the controls makes it far superior to handle and looks alot nicer.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3g mmi with nav is a must-have in my opinion. coupled with a traffic monitoring sub, it's a fantastic improvement over the 2G.

p.s. TomToms are easy to steal, and very often are.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks to all the inputs, considering I am using this car to commute and will seldom need the navigation (besides, my cell phone has Garmin on it), I will pass that to get the speaker and 18 wheels.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting comment about the 3G being a fantastic improvement. I had 2G on my MY2009 A4 and I have 3G on my current MY2010.

Graphics wise it's an easy winner but there's two areas where we've had issues in the UK with 3G.

[1] We have a lot of roundabouts ("rotaries"??) in the UK and it was telling people to turn left one turn to early on a random basis. It's been over a year and a software fix has been out just a couple of weeks. Mine will be fixed on Tuesday but it's a pretty sorry state of affairs given the cost of the satnav.

[2] The 2G computerised voice was so much more realistic and softer than the 3G one.

It's not a 100% win but with the graphics, DVD, lack of need to record voice dial names, etc etc it's definately got a lot going for it.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotaries are too confusing for American drivers, they're against the law now...(slight exaggeration).

I turned off the 2G voice in my C6 A6, she was way too pushy. Is that what you mean by 'realistic' ??? Over 5 years of ownership and many updates, the 2G nav bugs are too lengthy to mention.

Since Audi chose this generation nav to integrate TMC here in the US (even though the 2G had it long before in Europe), I feel it's compelling.

With that said, everyone's needs are different.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

aha! TMC would be a big benefit. Amazing you've just got that. It's been in Europe for many many years. I'm sure on the 2G it used to tell me how long the delay at a traffic incident was estimated to be. I now can't see that info. The system must know it for the dynamic routing to work.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
Thanks to all the inputs, considering I am using this car to commute and will seldom need the navigation (besides, my cell phone has Garmin on it), I will pass that to get the speaker and 18 wheels.
TMC/Traffic Data is great for the commute on those days when you need to use your alternate or # 3 alternate route to get to work. I get alerted that there's a backup and I'll go to plan B or C so I can have a more stress free commute.

Quick Reply: How good is the Audi Navi system