A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I need an oil consumption test. How much will this be?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an oil consumption test. How much will this be?

I recently purchased a used 2010 A4 2.0t Audi. It is constantly going through oil. I need an oil consumption test done through the dealer. Can they waive the fee for me since there have been problems with A4 2010 models with oil?
Thank you.
Lisa Auriemma
lauriemma1@gmail.com
Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by lauriemma1
I recently purchased a used 2010 A4 2.0t Audi. It is constantly going through oil. I need an oil consumption test done through the dealer. Can they waive the fee for me since there have been problems with A4 2010 models with oil?
Thank you.
Lisa Auriemma
lauriemma1@gmail.com
If the A4 has more than 80K miles you are out of luck as Audi only covers oil consumption fixes up to 80K miles.

Your best bet is to contact Audi Corporate and file a case number and work with them. Some owners have had the excessive oil consumption fixed by Audi as a "goodwill repair" after 80K miles. If your A4 was serviced "only" by a dealer helps the overall situation, if not, Audi seems to turn away.

Last edited by uberwgn; 04-16-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi covered 90% of our fix outside warranty etc

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
If the A4 has more than 80K miles you are out of luck as Audi only covers oil consumption fixes up to 80K miles.

Your best bet is to contact Audi Corporate and file a case number and work with them. Some owners have had the excessive oil consumption fixed by Audi as a "goodwill repair" after 80K miles. If your A4 was serviced "only" by a dealer helps the overall situation, if not, Audi seems to turn away.
Bob is dead right about contacting Audi corporate and goodwill! We just went through this process and felt like we were getting nowhere until we contacted Audi Australia. I probably would have had a meltdown without them as they kept following up with the service centre who were not really reliable getting back to us.

Our Audi A4 2009 was bought privately, was out of warranty, had a patchy service history with over 100,000km on the clock. There's a special place in hell for the guy who sold it to us, we soon realised he had professionally cleaned the engine and told us a lie for his reason for selling - in the first week we lost 1L oil in 200km

4 months later, Audi has rebuilt our engine (about 11K worth including labour etc), and we only had to contribute 10% of the price. They also gave us a loan vehicle for free for the 2 weeks it was in the shop.
To answer your question, the first oil consumption test cost us around $500 (Sydney, January 2018), and the second may have been about $250 - we didn't have to pay for it. We found it odd that a few staff members both at the service centre and on the phone to Audi Australia either thanked us or mentioned that it was great to deal with us having a good attitude through it all... on reflection we wonder if that influenced their decision to be so generous. This process is very stressful and takes a lot of time - and by what I've read on forums, not everyone is as lucky as we were. Best of luck.

Sorry if I haven't posted or formatted this correctly - this is my first post on this forum.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlee Law
Bob is dead right about contacting Audi corporate and goodwill! We just went through this process and felt like we were getting nowhere until we contacted Audi Australia. I probably would have had a meltdown without them as they kept following up with the service centre who were not really reliable getting back to us.

Our Audi A4 2009 was bought privately, was out of warranty, had a patchy service history with over 100,000km on the clock. There's a special place in hell for the guy who sold it to us, we soon realised he had professionally cleaned the engine and told us a lie for his reason for selling - in the first week we lost 1L oil in 200km

4 months later, Audi has rebuilt our engine (about 11K worth including labour etc), and we only had to contribute 10% of the price. They also gave us a loan vehicle for free for the 2 weeks it was in the shop.
To answer your question, the first oil consumption test cost us around $500 (Sydney, January 2018), and the second may have been about $250 - we didn't have to pay for it. We found it odd that a few staff members both at the service centre and on the phone to Audi Australia either thanked us or mentioned that it was great to deal with us having a good attitude through it all... on reflection we wonder if that influenced their decision to be so generous. This process is very stressful and takes a lot of time - and by what I've read on forums, not everyone is as lucky as we were. Best of luck.

Sorry if I haven't posted or formatted this correctly - this is my first post on this forum.
I wouldn't be to hard on the guy who sold you the car. I find many A4 owners don't tell their perspective buyers about the oil consumption problem. Same with telling the dealer on a trade in . No one wants to take the hit on the price or the possibility of not selling the car. Also the auction guys won't know or tell you about the problem. I don't think there is a 2.0l Audi engine that doesn't use oil . Even the newer ones where they say the problem is fixed. Now if you change oil at 5000 miles you might not see any loss but if you go to 10K you have used some. Does anyone wonder why your exhaust tips are black.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply, I can definitely see your point.
However there were a few factors that influenced why I cannot sympathise with the seller. For starters, I specifically asked him if there was an excessive oil issue and he said no, despite knowing that there was a serious issue, and deliberately taking actions to hide it. At the very worst we used 1L over 150km and at best it was 1L over 400km. Secondly, I was almost full term in pregnancy. He seemed very kind, in fact we had a lovely conversation about why I was interested in a sedan (new mum reasons), and that I was worried about being car-less and having to take an Uber to hospital! (Which is what ended up happening!)
There's a line between protecting yourself and evaluating the potential impact of your actions on others. There is no way I could deceive someone like that just to get myself out of hot water.

Anyway, all ended well with good karma in the form of a new engine, so I shouldn't really complain
Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Char L

hello

Ive just bought an audi 2010 a4 and have the same problem. 1L every 1000km can you give me any information about where did you get your car fixed? Any information will help thank you Diego