AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/)
-   -   Intake manifold (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b8-platform-discussion-128/intake-manifold-2949647/)

A4NrK 05-17-2018 05:28 PM

Intake manifold

I’m getting the code p2015 intake manifold runner position sensor. I replaced the whole intake manifold and I’m still getting the code, could a bad throttle body be the culprit of this? I have a 2012 A4 quattro

SMac770 05-18-2018 05:48 PM

Did you clear DTCs afterwards? Replacing the whole manifold should have replaced all possibly involved components.
The service manual referred to an adaptation for the intake manifold runner, but I could never find such a test in VCDS. There was a throttle body adaptation which I did run since I had removed the throttle body to clean it (and technically you removed it to replace the manifold, so might be good to run it anyway), but that device is not related to the manifold "runner".

A4NrK 05-19-2018 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by SMac770 (Post 25154702)
Did you clear DTCs afterwards? Replacing the whole manifold should have replaced all possibly involved components.
The service manual referred to an adaptation for the intake manifold runner, but I could never find such a test in VCDS. There was a throttle body adaptation which I did run since I had removed the throttle body to clean it (and technically you removed it to replace the manifold, so might be good to run it anyway), but that device is not related to the manifold "runner".

I did clear the code and took it for a test drive and it came back on. Do I have to reprogram the throttle body if I take it out? Because I did a couple months ago.. the car idles bad sometimes and hesitates when I accelerate, there’s no carbon build up since I cleaned it before replacing the intake

SMac770 05-19-2018 08:12 PM

The specifics are muddy, but I found the throttle body test under basic settings after replacing my manifold, so I did it anyway:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki
For us, it'll be the UDS instructions. Power on, engine off (same as for normal VCDS DTC scan; cycle power on the car if you had cleared codes), run the test.
See if it helps any.

A4NrK 05-21-2018 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SMac770 (Post 25155117)
The specifics are muddy, but I found the throttle body test under basic settings after replacing my manifold, so I did it anyway:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki
For us, it'll be the UDS instructions. Power on, engine off (same as for normal VCDS DTC scan; cycle power on the car if you had cleared codes), run the test.
See if it helps any.

I took the hose off that goes on the throttle body and there was oil in the hose and throttle is this normal?

SMac770 05-21-2018 06:50 PM

Well, I think that's somewhat normal. Why we get carbon buildup, from the PCV throwing oily air back in to be reburned. But too much might mean something else in the recirculation process is not working correctly. But I still don't know how that would tie back to a P2015.

If you feel along the backside of the manifold, you'll notice an arm that moves. If you push on it hard enough, you'll move it. That's the arm that moves the runner inside the manifold. This is what your code is talking about. The sensor that detects the position of that runner rotation is not sending back an expected signal. There's some pictures relating this in the testing the manifold section in the fuel injection and ignition service document.

In that document is also this:
If the fuel rail is removed or replaced, the intake manifold runner position sensor -G336- must be adapted to the Engine Control Module (ECM) -J623- . Use a vehicle diagnosis tester.

But I could never find any test to do for the runner, like I found for the throttle body. But I had no follow up issue, so it wasn't a problem.

A4NrK 05-21-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SMac770 (Post 25155897)
Well, I think that's somewhat normal. Why we get carbon buildup, from the PCV throwing oily air back in to be reburned. But too much might mean something else in the recirculation process is not working correctly. But I still don't know how that would tie back to a P2015.

If you feel along the backside of the manifold, you'll notice an arm that moves. If you push on it hard enough, you'll move it. That's the arm that moves the runner inside the manifold. This is what your code is talking about. The sensor that detects the position of that runner rotation is not sending back an expected signal. There's some pictures relating this in the testing the manifold section in the fuel injection and ignition service document.

In that document is also this:
If the fuel rail is removed or replaced, the intake manifold runner position sensor -G336- must be adapted to the Engine Control Module (ECM) -J623- . Use a vehicle diagnosis tester.

But I could never find any test to do for the runner, like I found for the throttle body. But I had no follow up issue, so it wasn't a problem.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it and yes I have removed the fuel rail to place it on the new intake manifold, where can I find this document?

SMac770 05-22-2018 06:35 PM

erwin.audiusa.com
Pay for a day and grab the PDFs relevant to your car so you don't have to pay every time you want to look something up.

A4NrK 06-04-2018 03:57 PM

Solved the problem for the p2015 code it was a defective heater valve which is behind the engine, it shares vacuum with intake changeover valve https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...18a7119ed3.png

mpeck3 06-29-2018 10:44 AM

Hi Did this heater valve replacement clear the hesitation you mentioned ?