Intake manifold - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold

Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Intake manifold

Iím getting the code p2015 intake manifold runner position sensor. I replaced the whole intake manifold and Iím still getting the code, could a bad throttle body be the culprit of this? I have a 2012 A4 quattro
Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you clear DTCs afterwards? Replacing the whole manifold should have replaced all possibly involved components.
The service manual referred to an adaptation for the intake manifold runner, but I could never find such a test in VCDS. There was a throttle body adaptation which I did run since I had removed the throttle body to clean it (and technically you removed it to replace the manifold, so might be good to run it anyway), but that device is not related to the manifold "runner".
Old 05-19-2018, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770 View Post
Did you clear DTCs afterwards? Replacing the whole manifold should have replaced all possibly involved components.
The service manual referred to an adaptation for the intake manifold runner, but I could never find such a test in VCDS. There was a throttle body adaptation which I did run since I had removed the throttle body to clean it (and technically you removed it to replace the manifold, so might be good to run it anyway), but that device is not related to the manifold "runner".
I did clear the code and took it for a test drive and it came back on. Do I have to reprogram the throttle body if I take it out? Because I did a couple months ago.. the car idles bad sometimes and hesitates when I accelerate, thereís no carbon build up since I cleaned it before replacing the intake
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

The specifics are muddy, but I found the throttle body test under basic settings after replacing my manifold, so I did it anyway:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki
For us, it'll be the UDS instructions. Power on, engine off (same as for normal VCDS DTC scan; cycle power on the car if you had cleared codes), run the test.
See if it helps any.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The specifics are muddy, but I found the throttle body test under basic settings after replacing my manifold, so I did it anyway:
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki
For us, it'll be the UDS instructions. Power on, engine off (same as for normal VCDS DTC scan; cycle power on the car if you had cleared codes), run the test.
See if it helps any.
I took the hose off that goes on the throttle body and there was oil in the hose and throttle is this normal?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I think that's somewhat normal. Why we get carbon buildup, from the PCV throwing oily air back in to be reburned. But too much might mean something else in the recirculation process is not working correctly. But I still don't know how that would tie back to a P2015.

If you feel along the backside of the manifold, you'll notice an arm that moves. If you push on it hard enough, you'll move it. That's the arm that moves the runner inside the manifold. This is what your code is talking about. The sensor that detects the position of that runner rotation is not sending back an expected signal. There's some pictures relating this in the testing the manifold section in the fuel injection and ignition service document.

In that document is also this:
If the fuel rail is removed or replaced, the intake manifold runner position sensor -G336- must be adapted to the Engine Control Module (ECM) -J623- . Use a vehicle diagnosis tester.

But I could never find any test to do for the runner, like I found for the throttle body. But I had no follow up issue, so it wasn't a problem.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I think that's somewhat normal. Why we get carbon buildup, from the PCV throwing oily air back in to be reburned. But too much might mean something else in the recirculation process is not working correctly. But I still don't know how that would tie back to a P2015.

If you feel along the backside of the manifold, you'll notice an arm that moves. If you push on it hard enough, you'll move it. That's the arm that moves the runner inside the manifold. This is what your code is talking about. The sensor that detects the position of that runner rotation is not sending back an expected signal. There's some pictures relating this in the testing the manifold section in the fuel injection and ignition service document.

In that document is also this:
If the fuel rail is removed or replaced, the intake manifold runner position sensor -G336- must be adapted to the Engine Control Module (ECM) -J623- . Use a vehicle diagnosis tester.

But I could never find any test to do for the runner, like I found for the throttle body. But I had no follow up issue, so it wasn't a problem.
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it and yes I have removed the fuel rail to place it on the new intake manifold, where can I find this document?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

erwin.audiusa.com
Pay for a day and grab the PDFs relevant to your car so you don't have to pay every time you want to look something up.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Solved the problem for the p2015 code it was a defective heater valve which is behind the engine, it shares vacuum with intake changeover valve
Old 06-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Did this heater valve replacement clear the hesitation you mentioned ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake manifold

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: