A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Interesting info on B8 engine cutoff from car accident

Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I already said by "reset", the guy said the part has to be replaced. Same thing with belt system
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes by explosive I meant pyrotechnic...small enough to sever a cable or cause a reaction

Most car's belt systems (self restraint) have little charges that go off to get rid of any slack in the seat belts in an accident. I felt it happen with the B8 when I had the accident and it's written all over the web. VW actually advertises it on their website and it specifically says pyrotechnic charge in belt system.

I'm not making this stuff up. At the end of the day, this all leads me to believe that the impact was significant and because the B8 is built like a tank, I just didn't feel it. Essentially, Audi built a great car that takes the abuse without passing it onto the passengers!!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nobody is disputing what you are saying or claiming you made it up...

They just don't believe what the tech told you in the first place...

Come on, you know that the collective internet is always smarter than anyone person alone </sarcasm>. Especially an audi service tech! </humor>
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What if you want to pull off the road after an accident to avoid causing a pile-up on a foggy da

OTOH, not being able to move the car at the scene of an accident means you don't have to feel guilty about blocking traffic as you wait for Police to come investigate. I'd just sit there (rubbing my neck, making it look good). $$$$$$!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Interesting info on B8 engine cutoff from car accident

I remember something similar on VW's as far back as the 80's. In a severe accident, the engine is prevented from starting by disabling the fuel pump, to avoid the pressurized fuel, in fuel injected vehicles, from causing a fire/explosion.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't take it personally....

...I just think that the tech is full of it.

First, they don't know anything about it, then they just happen to have pyrotechnics floating around.

Please have the tech explain it to you again...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default On the B6/B7s if a crash sensor is triggered it will cut the fuel pump and shut off the engine

as well as turn on the interior lights and unlock the doors.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It is a saftey device that allows your vehicle to still be seen "hazards lights and prevents fire's"

Well if anyone had noticed the battery is in the trunk. There are zero gauge battery cables that travel the length of the car, If you are involved in an accident and the positive cable shorts to a frame rail or some other part of the chassis. There is a very good chance of starting a fire. The Battery disconnect is a small box with the metal strip spanning over a hammer that is activated by an explosive charge, like a airbag ignitor. When the charge is set off in an accident the hammer comes down brakes the metal strip severing the power to the starter/alt/and battery. Number two it keeps the comfort system alive to allow the hazard lights to come on and warn others of danger, it unlocks the door, and shuts the engine off. It does all of this in the blink of an eye.

There are two different type's, The original disconnects were ONE TIME USE ONLY, than Audi switched to a multiple use Reset, but quickly found out that after something like this activates (its essentially a huge relay in reverse.) Every time that switch is used there is a spark where it disconnects inside the switch, that spark causes damage and over time could cause continuity problems. Soo, Audi decided that the ONE TIME USE battery disconnects are much more efficient.

I'm sorry the techs working on your car couldn't find the answer. But its something more that body shops deal with than the dealer does.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks at least good to know they eventually figured it out and you confirmed what they told me!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ummm, let me understand this

If this car is involved in a mild accident, one that won't even deploy the air bags. They you MUST tow the car to an Audi dealer for repair?!

I've been in few altercations in my driving life. Some that resulted in the car being beat pretty badly, but in most cases I could drive the car home. Sounds like that would never happen with this car.

Maybe they should have left the battery under the hood, and outside the firewall, after all. And, just put in a fuel pump disconnect instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting info on B8 engine cutoff from car accident