A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Looking at buying a a4 quattro premium plus

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a a4 quattro premium plus

I'm looking at buying a 2010 a4 quattro premium plus. The car is at the Audi dealer it was just traded in by the original owner to the dealer they bought it from they showed me all the service records and everything the engine was replaced not long ago so the car body has 99k on it the new engine only has about 15k. I drove the car I loved the way it handles and the interior I'm just concerned about the burning oil I've been seeing everyone talking about I'm a heavy diesel mechanic I know turbo-ed vehicles push some oil trough the cac its not uncommon. They are asking 9250 for the car then another 2200 if I want a extended warranty for two years on the power train. This car will be my daily driver to let my truck get a break I wont be modifying it at all just driving and doing all the maintenance. I just wanted some opinions from people who own these cars I currently own a mk4 golf so I'm familiar with vw and Audi thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In other words how reliable of a car is it if I maintain it religiously like I do.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why was the engine replaced? Is the replacement a new engine? Or was it rebuilt to address the oil consumption problem. If the engine was replaced recently I would have to assume that it does not have the oil burning problem.

Should be very reliable once you accept that the car has 100k and things will need to be replaced regardless of maintenance schedule.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by treilley
Why was the engine replaced? Is the replacement a new engine? Or was it rebuilt to address the oil consumption problem. If the engine was replaced recently I would have to assume that it does not have the oil burning problem.

Should be very reliable once you accept that the car has 100k and things will need to be replaced regardless of maintenance schedule.
yea I know things will need to be replaced I was more worried about the drivetrain supposedly it’s a brand new engine from what they said I’m going to try and get more info today.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a 2010 A4 Premium Plus (6 speed manual) around the end of April. Had about 121k on it when I got her. The oil consumption was insane. About a quart every 480-500 miles. At 125k the tensioner failed and suffered catastrophic engine failure. Replaced the engine with a 2012 with 100k on it.

Its above and beyond the happiest driving time of my life even after the 5600 dollar engine replacement. It feels like a completely different car. I have put 1000 miles on the new engine and the oil consumption is stable.

My mechanic sat sat me down and explained that everything that I did as a Honda owner I can not assume as an Audi owner. No crap oil, no neglected maintenance... basically you take care of it and it takes care of you.

But holy crap. Check those belts and that tensioner. Ask ask ask about it. Save yourself the heartbreak of watching her be towed away on a flatbed.

I love it. Would buy another 2010 in a heartbeat. Love it.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Chains. Not belts. Sorry. Derped out.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AZDaisy
I bought a 2010 A4 Premium Plus (6 speed manual) around the end of April. Had about 121k on it when I got her. The oil consumption was insane. About a quart every 480-500 miles. At 125k the tensioner failed and suffered catastrophic engine failure. Replaced the engine with a 2012 with 100k on it.

Its above and beyond the happiest driving time of my life even after the 5600 dollar engine replacement. It feels like a completely different car. I have put 1000 miles on the new engine and the oil consumption is stable.

My mechanic sat sat me down and explained that everything that I did as a Honda owner I can not assume as an Audi owner. No crap oil, no neglected maintenance... basically you take care of it and it takes care of you.

But holy crap. Check those belts and that tensioner. Ask ask ask about it. Save yourself the heartbreak of watching her be towed away on a flatbed.

I love it. Would buy another 2010 in a heartbeat. Love it.
the engine was just replaced with a new one and a new turbo. I mean it’s a inline 4 so it should be a cake walk to rebuild myself like a inline 6 Diesel just smaller but who wants to buy a newer to you car and have to rebuild it not me lol. I’m very meticulous with my pickup only oem filters and oil only.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bdemutis
I'm looking at buying a 2010 a4 quattro premium plus......
Sooooo... did you end up buying it??