A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Looking to purchase mine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase mine!

Hi all,

I'm in the market to purchase my first Audi. I've been a Mini Cooper S owner for quite a few years. I love the way they handle, but they just don't fit my needs any longer. I've narrowed my search down to the A4 (2013-2016) and the S4 from a similar year range. Quattro and Automatic for sure, and I've been looking at Premium Plus/Prestige models. I want a backup camera but don't need the Nav. I always use Google on my phone, though it seems like the two features are always together anyways. I've test driven several A4's and really like the fit, finish, and feel. The last one I drove was Glacier white, with dark chestnut brown interior, and I fell in love. I didn't get that one, but now I have a better idea of what I like.

I wanted to ask for your opinions on the A4 vs the S4?

Is the extra power worth the drop in MPG and extra sticker price? Is one engine more reliable? Does the A4 have a softer, more pleasant ride?

Anything specific to those years/models I should be on the look out for in my test drives? I am fairly mechanical and do all my own repair work.

Thanks!,

Nick
Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

I imagine if you find one with the adaptive suspension, it can be a nice ride in either car.

Unless you plan to chip it, I figure the V6 is very much worth it over the 2L. Keep in mine, the US A4 in those years was still only 211hp, not the mid 250s like most new 2L today. The V6 was supercharged, so no lag once your foot is down. A pulley and chip and you could be in 400hp territory. The only reason I would ever look at an A4 is because AoA, cheap bastards, never imported an S4 avant. So chipping an allroad would be far more likely for me. Though I'd rather have that supercharged V6 any and every day over a turbo 4.

You'll want to get familiar with the order guides for those years (google search). For example, there was no Prestige for 2016. And you would see the backup camera only came with the Navigation Plus package in 14/15 and the (renamed to) Tech package in 16. So if you want the backup camera, you're going to be getting navigation. Other than how features were packaged, the 14/15/16 are all identical spec wise that I have ever noticed. Unlike the prior years, where 09-13, except 12, something significant changed each year.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thankyou for the reply!

I haven't seen the adaptive suspension in very many. The only way I would see it in pictures is the small "drive select" button on the center console right? I have looked into chipping the 2.0T. I probably would if I got the A4. My Mini is supercharged, I know that thrill of instant acceleration and I am worried I will miss it if I get the 2.0T.

I've found a couple order guides, those help sort out the details and I had no idea that they existed. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The options that mandated the ADS button were:
* Adaptive Suspension
* Dynamic Steering
* Sport Differential

I don't know for other markets, but i Europe we could select these options individually. So seeing the button doesn't tell you for sure that it has adaptive suspension.
I have all 3 in my A4. I also have the supercharged V6. This engine in an A4 has a bit less power than S4 but I enjoy the immediate response and power.
The rear anti roll bar that comes with adaptive suspension is not as stiff as S4 or sport suspension (to be able to be more soft) but the dampers can go stiffer (at least) than the sport suspension (don't know about the S4 dampers). Mine is anyway rather stiff in the corners.

Last edited by audi8k; 01-28-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Europe handles their options very differently than in the US, where we have fairly static trims and packages and options.
For the A4 those years, it was an option only for Prestige trim. So you probably will not find it often. And as there was no Prestige in 2016, ....
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yikes, I didn't realize it was only an option in Prestige trim. Prestige cars are quite rare in themselves, and I'm pretty particular on my color. I don't imagine I will find that combo.

I am certainly leaning towards the S4's power, but the A4's price and selection is so much better.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you drive them both before making the decision. I had the same dilemma between the A4 and S4. I drove the S4 which was nice and then I drove an A4 that had an APR stage 1 tune, lowered sport suspension and a cool air intake. I liked the tuned A4 better. I drive about 60 highway miles + 10 country road miles each day for work and I get 35-36mpg in the summer. Down to 31-32mpg in the winter. All the power I need and handling is superb.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

treilley, do you remember noticing a lag difference between the S4 and the tuned A4? I like the idea of tuning an A4 instead, but I know for a fact I like the instant kick from the supercharger.

I test drove a 2013 S4 with SD yesterday. I was happy to have found one with only 40,000 miles on it and they were asking 24k. I was disappointed to find that it was very abused and in bad shape. I did enjoy driving the car for the little test drive I did. I can certainly feel the difference from an A4, but it didn't feel quite as powerful as I had imagined.

There are only 3 within 300 miles of me that match what I am looking for, that was one of them. There is another with 70,000 miles for 22k that I am planning to test drive tomorrow. I'm just not sure how much I would be happy with that mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I've never bought any vehicle with less than 80,000 before, but I've really never paid 20k for any of them either. I'm not scared of a little maintenance, but I don't like to gamble with that much money.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simpsonna
treilley, do you remember noticing a lag difference between the S4 and the tuned A4? I like the idea of tuning an A4 instead, but I know for a fact I like the instant kick from the supercharger.

I test drove a 2013 S4 with SD yesterday. I was happy to have found one with only 40,000 miles on it and they were asking 24k. I was disappointed to find that it was very abused and in bad shape. I did enjoy driving the car for the little test drive I did. I can certainly feel the difference from an A4, but it didn't feel quite as powerful as I had imagined.

There are only 3 within 300 miles of me that match what I am looking for, that was one of them. There is another with 70,000 miles for 22k that I am planning to test drive tomorrow. I'm just not sure how much I would be happy with that mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I've never bought any vehicle with less than 80,000 before, but I've really never paid 20k for any of them either. I'm not scared of a little maintenance, but I don't like to gamble with that much money.
I do not recall a noticeable lag compared to the S4. You would have to drive an A4 to be sure though.

Tim