A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Loud Borla cat back

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Borla cat back

I just installed a Borla cat back system and its too loud for my wife. Does anyone know of modifications that can be made to it to quiet it down some? The stock system is long gone so there is no going back to stock. Would like to find a way to still use the exhaust tips and muffler since they look great.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oops
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ght=insulation

Might try this, or dynomat.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4 Robin
I just installed a Borla cat back system and its too loud for my wife. Does anyone know of modifications that can be made to it to quiet it down some? The stock system is long gone so there is no going back to stock. Would like to find a way to still use the exhaust tips and muffler since they look great.
You can install db reducing cones ahead of the mid box and each rear muffler. There are perforated and solid styles depending on how much attenuation you need. Reversion cones can also be installed in the tips. I think I still have some cones left from another project I'll look for the box tomorrow and post a name.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cones that I have are Dynatech Vortex Racing Mufflers. Specifically the Vortex Cone Assembly.

I found that installing them in the rear of each muffler (cone point inside) gave the best noise reduction. Find a welder who does nice work with stainless and it is a simple fix.

Click here for more info
Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default great idea

Originally Posted by NickZag
I love this simple yet effective idea, and feel kinda silly for not thinking about it. I also talking to Borla and they are sending a set of venturis to install free of charge to help as well. Between the 2 fixes I,m sure the wife will notice the differance. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother with Dynamat. It wasn't designed for noise reduction and it's not very good at it. Dynamat is to stop vibration by adding mass to a panel and that's it.

The best things to stop sound penetration are jute (household under carpet padding), closed-cell foam and mass-loaded vinyl like Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro. The jute and LLP are the best things. Just be warned, they are a tad thick but they work very, very well.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Take her to a metal concert. Hearing loss. Its not too loud if she can't hear it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After looking at all the ideas that people on the forum had I found a companyt called Car Chemistry that sells racing exhasut inserts. I installed their "Silencer" insert and it worked fantastic as far as killing the drone. The product was not expensive, $70, and it was spot welded into my system in front of the cat converter for another $45. I highly recommend this prodcut or similar inserts that they sell to help adjust the drone you may experience on any performance exhaust system.
My car still has a great throaty sound at idle and performnce is not hampered at all. Their link is below.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...duct_list&c=76
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Silencer Installation

Originally Posted by A4 Robin
After looking at all the ideas that people on the forum had I found a companyt called Car Chemistry that sells racing exhasut inserts. I installed their "Silencer" insert and it worked fantastic as far as killing the drone. The product was not expensive, $70, and it was spot welded into my system in front of the cat converter for another $45. I highly recommend this prodcut or similar inserts that they sell to help adjust the drone you may experience on any performance exhaust system.
My car still has a great throaty sound at idle and performnce is not hampered at all. Their link is below.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...duct_list&c=76

Does the silencer slide into the exhaust tubing, or does it fit inline?
I have the same issue with a Borla system, but they told me to take a hike when I complained.

Quick Reply: Loud Borla cat back