A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Which High Flow Cat- EuroCode or 034?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which High Flow Cat- EuroCode or 034?

Hey, everyone! Looking like I'll be upgrading the exhaust system very soon and I'd like to swap out the OEM Cat for a HFC. Question is, which HFC should I go with- EuroCode or 034?

*Price-wise, they're both in the same ballpark.

*As for performance, EuroCode is claiming proven gains of 16HP/19TQ to the wheels, while 034 is claiming 24HP/27TQ at the wheels. I'm sure the discrepancy has something to due with the cell count as the 034 HFC consists of 250 cells, while EuroCode does not disclose that information.

*Regarding emissions testing, it seems EuroCode has passed California state emissions testing. I'm not sure whether or not 034 would pass. But at the same time I understand it's illegal to replace the OEM Cat w/an aftermarket Cat anyway. If that's the case perhaps I should take the extra 10'ish HP/TQ that come with 034 and run?

Can anyone speak to either or both of the above solutions? Any and all input is appreciated!!!

EuroCode:
http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart..._detail&p=1874

034:
http://www.034motorsport.com/product...ducts_id=19952

Last edited by ThePiombino; 05-27-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does NJ have emissions testing? If not, the emissions testing thing would probably be a moot point. TX requires yearly emissions testing and I cross-checked the pass/fail requirements to the posted emissions test run on the Eurocode HFC, and the Eurocode HFC is not even remotely close to failing in TX. It sounds like the 034 unit is more free-flowing, tho I imagine it would still pass.

I may get an HFC down the road but in the meantime, I am waiting for my bro's yearly emissions testing to come up on his B7 avant. He's been running an 034 HFC for about 5 months I think, and I'd like to see how it fares at inspection. The gains are nice and it changed the sound of his car for the better. btw, I believe 034 uses the same cat filter/assembly on the B8 unit that they've been using on units for previous platforms (such as the B7), so in theory their B8 unit benefits from many years and miles of testing. The 034 HFC is very popular among the B7 crowd, so it seems like a great product.

I seem to remember AE Performance announcing an HFC almost a year ago as well. I don't know if they've officially released it to the public tho.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
Does NJ have emissions testing? If not, the emissions testing thing would probably be a moot point. TX requires yearly emissions testing and I cross-checked the pass/fail requirements to the posted emissions test run on the Eurocode HFC, and the Eurocode HFC is not even remotely close to failing in TX. It sounds like the 034 unit is more free-flowing, tho I imagine it would still pass.

I may get an HFC down the road but in the meantime, I am waiting for my bro's yearly emissions testing to come up on his B7 avant. He's been running an 034 HFC for about 5 months I think, and I'd like to see how it fares at inspection. The gains are nice and it changed the sound of his car for the better. btw, I believe 034 uses the same cat filter/assembly on the B8 unit that they've been using on units for previous platforms (such as the B7), so in theory their B8 unit benefits from many years and miles of testing. The 034 HFC is very popular among the B7 crowd, so it seems like a great product.
Yes, I'm 95% certain we do. That said, it probably wouldn't stop me anyway, lol. Sounds to me like the 034 (between the extra gains and having proven the test of time - at least in the B7 community - seems to be the way to go.

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
I seem to remember AE Performance announcing an HFC almost a year ago as well. I don't know if they've officially released it to the public tho.
Hmmmmm, OR wait to see what AE has to say...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^Most B8-owners w/ an HFC have the Eurocode unit, and I've yet to hear a single bad thing about it. I don't think you can go wrong either way
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NJ does have emissions testing. You can legally replace your cat, as long as it meets the same specs as the OEM unit. NJ does an OBD-II plug-in and visual check for the cat, they don't require CARB certified equipment. As long as the high flow doesn't throw any engine codes, you should be fine.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
NJ does have emissions testing. You can legally replace your cat, as long as it meets the same specs as the OEM unit. NJ does an OBD-II plug-in and visual check for the cat, they don't require CARB certified equipment. As long as the high flow doesn't throw any engine codes, you should be fine.
Smells like APR Stage II FTW!!!

If anyone else cares, I'm leaning heavily towards the 034 HFC.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am also thinking about getting High Flow Cat. I am afraid of purchasing one from eather company's currently. I live in new York City and I dont know for sure if any of these company's can assure that it will pass inspection.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
I am also thinking about getting High Flow Cat. I am afraid of purchasing one from eather company's currently. I live in new York City and I dont know for sure if any of these company's can assure that it will pass inspection.
Just do what I did: Locate online the passing criteria for CO % and HC ppm in your state and compare it to Eurocode's test results for their HFC here. 034 has posted a similar inspection report somewhere IIRC as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

looking on the web and cant seem to pinpoint a chart that states the required levels to pass in NYC
Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
I'm not sure about New York, but as for New Jersey as far as I can tell, it has adopted California state emissions standards. So if that's the case, the HFCs we've been mentioning will pass. You just have to make sure not to throw a CEL or else you will fail because they check for engine codes via ODB. APR Stage II or possible a sensor should do the trick.

Quick Reply: Which High Flow Cat- EuroCode or 034?