A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Missing Back-up Camera concessions

Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it takes a while to get it try buying one on ebay.de (I've seen some for sale) have the dealer install it (at no charge of course) then sell yours when it arrives. Having fiancee drive without it is unacceptable Trust me I know, I am married.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Farbe-Kamera-Ruck...item1e6296e9de
Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vtheman
If it takes a while to get it try buying one on ebay.de (I've seen some for sale) have the dealer install it (at no charge of course) then sell yours when it arrives. Having fiancee drive without it is unacceptable Trust me I know, I am married.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Farbe-Kamera-Ruck...item1e6296e9de
That is not the OEM backup camera - it is some cheap aftermarket version. The one you linked replaces one of your license plate bulbs - this will cause one side of your plate to be brighter than the other and will look horrible IMHO. The OEM camera is part of the trunk latch.
Also, I doubt this one has the same connections as the OEM Audi one which would force you to do some (possibly heavy) modifications to the wiring that is there.
All in all, don't do it - wait for the OEM one.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NPuter
That is not the OEM backup camera - it is some cheap aftermarket version. The one you linked replaces one of your license plate bulbs - this will cause one side of your plate to be brighter than the other and will look horrible IMHO. The OEM camera is part of the trunk latch.
Also, I doubt this one has the same connections as the OEM Audi one which would force you to do some (possibly heavy) modifications to the wiring that is there.
All in all, don't do it - wait for the OEM one.
My bat, wrong link. I think this one should do it assuming that you have a proper trunk latch already there.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A4-8K-A5-8T-...item27bd034930
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtheman
My bad, wrong link. I think this one should do it assuming that you have a proper trunk latch already there.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Audi-A4-8K-A5-8T-...item27bd034930
The camera in the link is a PAL camera for Europe and BRIC countries. I don't think it will fit NAFTA cars.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
The camera in the link is a PAL camera for Europe and BRIC countries. I don't think it will fit NAFTA cars.
NAFTA? I know VW is building cars in Mexico. Is Audi doing that now too?

What does NAFTA have to do with the NTSC video standard?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car companies refer to regions by those names. NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement area, specifically Canada, USA, and Mexico. Europe refers to most European countries, but not all. UK is the odd duck, it is not really in Europe, but most Americans think it is.

BRIC is rather recent, referring to the fastest growing car markets, Brazil, Russia, India, and China.

I don't believe VW is manufacturing Audi in Mexico, but you never know where certain components are sourced.

While NTSC is retired, ATSC is the North American video standard.

There are differences in NAFTA head units dealing with AM-FM frequencies, channel spacing, and stereo demodulation. Even the radio frequencies used for the tire pressure sensors and the RF portion of the key is different in the Americas. The headlight beam pattern is also different than Europe.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

As both NTSC and Pal were developed for analog broadcast TV and have nothing to do with any digital TV or digital photography of any kind, I think it a safe bet that this is a complete non-issue.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't believe VW is manufacturing Audi in Mexico, but you never know where certain components are sourced.

There are differences in NAFTA head units dealing with AM-FM frequencies, channel spacing, and stereo demodulation. Even the radio frequencies used for the tire pressure sensors and the RF portion of the key is different in the Americas. The headlight beam pattern is also different than Europe.
There are no Audi assembly plants in Mexico.

And there are plenty of differences on what is available here as regards options, colors, engines and models compared to the US.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are no Audi assembly plants in Mexico.

And there are plenty of differences on what is available here as regards options, colors, engines and models compared to the US.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car companies refer to regions by those names. NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement area, specifically Canada, USA, and Mexico. Europe refers to most European countries, but not all. UK is the odd duck, it is not really in Europe, but most Americans think it is.

BRIC is rather recent, referring to the fastest growing car markets, Brazil, Russia, India, and China.

I've sourced parts for years from Germany that were always better than what was available back here such as headlights, gauge clusters, OEM suspensions, etc. I guess I just don't understand the video system on these cars (heck I don't know much about video period). So if I follow you and Marley, those missing the system have the camera physically but are missing a converter or chip that allows the MMI to display the visual information because it's digital? Is that accurate?

I'm just trying to understand what is holding up Audi from delivering A4's with the back up camera in a functional state. Is this affecting other Audi models? It seems absurd that a thread asking about possible concessions for a missing option should even need to exist... I would expect that Audi in the interests of maintaining customer loyalty would be granting concessions for failure to deliver cars with all installed options intact. I doubt that any A8L's are leaving the factory without the rear camera working...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing Back-up Camera concessions