A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

MMI Bluetooth Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI Bluetooth Connection Problem

A problem with the bluetooth connection has recently developed with our 2011 A4.

When the bluetooth connection is made with my Blackberry (Verizon Wireless) the sound is disconnected with the radio- as soon as I disconnect the bluetooth connection with the phone, the sound returns.

Anyone have any idea on what might be going on and how to correc this? This is a problem that just developed recently- so it has worked correctly in the past.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just some ideas

Is the phone stuck in a mode that outputs audio over BT?
Symptom fits a case where the phone or car thinks that a call is going on (and mutes the audio).
I would try this (in order of complexity):
1) Restart MMI with the '3 button press'.
2) Delete the phone from the MMI BT list and pair it again.
3) Reset the phone SW.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi8k
Is the phone stuck in a mode that outputs audio over BT?
Symptom fits a case where the phone or car thinks that a call is going on (and mutes the audio).
I would try this (in order of complexity):
1) Restart MMI with the '3 button press'.
2) Delete the phone from the MMI BT list and pair it again.
3) Reset the phone SW.
Have the problem corrected. The system does work now.

The Audi Dealer service techs spent some time on the phone with Audi's tech people. It seems there was a couple of problems- the first solution was to reset something with the MMI system (something located in the trunk I am told). Once this was done, some phones would connect, mine still would not connect. The next step was to disconnect the battery in my phone, then reinsert the battery (which sounds like another reset process- this time for the phone).

I was told the 3 button reset you mention is only for the A8, which may, or may not be correct. I do not know what the 3 button reset is, so I did not try it. I had already tried re-pairing the phone, which did not work. I do not know what option 3 you suggest is (SW).

Thanks for your help. We will see if the problem re-occurs.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default For the future

Originally Posted by Loafer123
I was told the 3 button reset you mention is only for the A8, which may, or may not be correct. I do not know what the 3 button reset is, so I did not try it. I had already tried re-pairing the phone, which did not work. I do not know what option 3 you suggest is (SW).
The MMI Restart is described in the manual, see figure.
It's called restart and is more of a reboot than reset. I seems that no settings are lost.

A reset of the phone software is the "next step" if rebooting the phone is not enough. How to do that is seldom described in manuals (and I don't know how for your model) but if you search the net you might find out.
Attached Images