A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

MMI oil level indicator redux

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI oil level indicator redux

I am currently unable to get any indication from the MMI oil level indicator on my 2009 A4 Avant. I've tried several times over the last couple of days, and wait 2-3 minutes after the engine shuts off. No level is indicated. Some people seem to think the hood should be open; others apparently don't. I don't think the manual says anything about it. I've been doing it with the hood shut; I don't recall ever having to open the hood to get a reading.

So what does a lack of an oil level tell me? If it's really that low, I should be getting a low oil message, which I receive periodically -- maybe every 3-3 months. I understand that this is supposedly normal for this engine. I thought that I might be getting around to that time again, so I decided to check the oil. Checking the oil used to be -- and still could be -- such a simple, easy task. But on this car, it's become a real pain the butt. So what is the deal with no oil level in the MMI?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

As many threads and posts have suggested since 2009, simply get a dipstick and check it the old fashioned way.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...arch/Dipstick/
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I'm planning on that. But meanwhile I've got a mysterious "non-reading" from the MMI. Or maybe it's about to warn me that I'm low?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As many threads and posts have suggested since 2009, simply get a dipstick and check it the old fashioned way.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...arch/Dipstick/
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Doubtful. In any case, you would get a low oil warning if it gets down a liter.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I got my answer this morning. When I started the car up, the low oil warning came on immediately. So the MMI level indicator was indeed "working", but the feedback it was providing was of pretty poor quality. I don't know whether the MMI has improved much since '09, but this is an example of where things could be improved a lot. The idea that a driver can't tell what the oil level is is *ridiculous*.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Buck: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=15

See if that works on your MY2009 car.

Also, once the hood has been opened the car makes the assumption that the oil has been added. You won't get a reading on the MMI 'til the car has traveled some distance. Could be several days for it to display a refreshed reading whether you've added oil or not.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I will. Just to clarify, when I was trying to check the oil level, the MMI oil level indicator did not say that no information was available. It showed the level indicator, but there was no orange-red fill color, and the text did not say whether the level was "ok" or "low". It just said "oil level". I can't help but think that if a old cell phone (like mine) can show a battery level that is getting really close to low with a little "granularity", then the Audi MMI ought to be able to do the same. Showing a level with no obvious visual indicator and no useful text message is pretty lame.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I typically see that "no information available" statement when the engine is cold or if the hood had been opened recently.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckthorn
Thanks, I will. Just to clarify, when I was trying to check the oil level, the MMI oil level indicator did not say that no information was available. It showed the level indicator, but there was no orange-red fill color, and the text did not say whether the level was "ok" or "low". It just said "oil level". I can't help but think that if a old cell phone (like mine) can show a battery level that is getting really close to low with a little "granularity", then the Audi MMI ought to be able to do the same. Showing a level with no obvious visual indicator and no useful text message is pretty lame.
The MMI indicated exactly what was going on. No orange on the bar indicated approx 1 qt low. The warning went off once it was more than 1 qt low. You don't have to wait until the warning goes off. If it shows half on the bar graph add a half quart.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by buckthorn
I guess I must have missed something here. If there was no fill in color it would make sense that you were down at least a quart/liter of oil. If you don't trust the system go buy an aftermarket dip stick and measure the oil the old fashion way.

Quick Reply: MMI oil level indicator redux