A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

MMI to USB flash drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI to USB flash drive?

hey all, new owner of an A4 here..I've been searching all over for an answer but haven't found anything, hoping you guys can help me...

2009 A4 Prestige S-Line, obviously has the MMI package. came with and MMI to 30 pin ipod connector. I purchased a MMI to USB cable to use a flash drive for my music, i bought a 64 gig PNY usb 2.0 flash drive. To be sure this would work before i purchased it, i tried a little 2 gig drive and it worked great.

But when i loaded my music on to the 64 gig drive, the car doesnt recognize it, it says the same thing as if nothing is plugged in.

One post said it needed to be FAT32 formatted and I already did that and same outcome, also fried FAT cause thats what the other drive is, but that maxes out at 4gb...which makes having a 64gig drive useless

please help !!!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The firmware of early 2009 MY cars could only recognize 4GB media. The system was designed when there was no specification for SD cards and USB memory greater than 4GB. The addressing scheme was changed for greater capacity devices, and SDHC devices of 4GB and up were born. This causes no end of confusion because there is standard SD of 4GB and SDHC of 4GB, but only the standard SD works with a 2009 MY Audi.

I don't know if the hardware is capable of being flashed with new firmware to allow larger memory recognition. My dealer was unable to get any help from Audi in that regard. My radio developed a defect in the illumination system while under warranty and it was replaced with a later software version unit that can address larger memory. I use 32GB SDHC cards to carry my music.

You can query the headunit for the software version you have and ask a dealer or Audi if an update is possible, or look for a junkyard unit to replace yours.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
The firmware of early 2009 MY cars could only recognize 4GB media. The system was designed when there was no specification for SD cards and USB memory greater than 4GB. The addressing scheme was changed for greater capacity devices, and SDHC devices of 4GB and up were born. This causes no end of confusion because there is standard SD of 4GB and SDHC of 4GB, but only the standard SD works with a 2009 MY Audi.

I don't know if the hardware is capable of being flashed with new firmware to allow larger memory recognition. My dealer was unable to get any help from Audi in that regard. My radio developed a defect in the illumination system while under warranty and it was replaced with a later software version unit that can address larger memory. I use 32GB SDHC cards to carry my music.

You can query the headunit for the software version you have and ask a dealer or Audi if an update is possible, or look for a junkyard unit to replace yours.

thanks for the detailed response! weird that my 8 gb flash drive works though and not the 64... maybe mine is updated and it will only recognize up to 32? hmmm maybe ill partition this 64 into 30 gb and see
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using a small USB-powered hard drive (yes with moving platter and spindle) for notebook computers and it's 500GB and has never skipped a beat in 5 years. I also have a 2009 with the older MMI system. Maybe try a hard drive instead of a flash drive? (The cost per GB should be cheaper too.)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I have been using a small USB-powered hard drive (yes with moving platter and spindle) for notebook computers and it's 500GB and has never skipped a beat in 5 years. I also have a 2009 with the older MMI system. Maybe try a hard drive instead of a flash drive? (The cost per GB should be cheaper too.)
new turn, the 64 gb flash works in my wife's 2011 subaru forester, so i'm starting to think its some sort of compatibility with this drive,since it doesn't even light up when plugged in to the audi.

Just so weird that it works one place and not the other...

Just a SSD? poweed by usb 2.0?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shanker
thanks for the detailed response! weird that my 8 gb flash drive works though and not the 64... maybe mine is updated and it will only recognize up to 32? hmmm maybe ill partition this 64 into 30 gb and see
What is your 64gb formatted as?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
What is your 64gb formatted as?
As the new post said, fat32
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BUMP....anyone!?
Old 03-12-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2009 without MMI and I use a 32GB flash drive in the glove box and it works great.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Where did you get the USB>AMI cable; from the dealer or on eBay? It's possible you have a defective cable. Try another brand of thumb drive and if it's formatted correctly and still doesn't work, get another OEM USB cable from the dealer to try.

Quick Reply: MMI to USB flash drive?