A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

(More Than) Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (More Than) Low Oil Pressure

After a botched job by previous owner which ended with me getting the head rebuilt due to no oil pressure thus slacking the timing chains and causing the pistons to bend the valves etc. It seems at some time the oil pan was removed and when reattached using gobs of silicone, most ending up in the sump. It blocked the uptake, fouled the pump thus the slacking of the chains occured. Now that everything is back together I am getting a low oil pressure light at idle and the minute the gas pedal is touched the (red) light disappears. On an outboard oil pressure guage under the hood the pressure seems ok. The sensor has been replaced as well as the oil pump etc. Any ideas what may have been missed.
Many Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Samo7
After a botched job by previous owner which ended with me getting the head rebuilt due to no oil pressure thus slacking the timing chains and causing the pistons to bend the valves etc. It seems at some time the oil pan was removed and when reattached using gobs of silicone, most ending up in the sump. It blocked the uptake, fouled the pump thus the slacking of the chains occured. Now that everything is back together I am getting a low oil pressure light at idle and the minute the gas pedal is touched the (red) light disappears. On an outboard oil pressure guage under the hood the pressure seems ok. The sensor has been replaced as well as the oil pump etc. Any ideas what may have been missed.
Many Thanks
any update on this...since I have a friend having a very similar issue.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Samo7
Many Thanks
Have you attached a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what the pressure is. Also is the engine idling per the specifications. With 5W-40 oil at normal engine temperature and normal idle you should hve sufficent OP to keep the light off (5-7LBS)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you check the rod bearings for excess wear? If the crank looks fine just get a set of standard rod bearings and throw em in. If it ran at all under load or higher rpm before with low oil pressure it wore the bearings. I see it alot of 1.8Ts but the 2.0T would be just the same. I have put in new bearings and pickup tube and they run quiet and no oil warning.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-08-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the late response. It seems that not only the lower oil pan was removed but the upper oil pan was also removed during the rebuild by Audi at 30,000 kms. Yes an Audi dealership in Toronto, Canada. The outboard oil pressure guage showed low oil pressure at idle because all the main oil ports were also blocked witrh silicone. Blocking of the arteries if you will. This added considerable cost as the transmission had to be removed to access those last two bolts on the upper oil pan. All is well now except for the $9700 repair bill which I will try and recoup in Small Claims Court.