A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

My Six month old 2016 Audi bursts into flames

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Six month old 2016 Audi bursts into flames

My 2016 Audi A4 burst into flames a couple of weeks after my local Audi dealership did something to the fuel pipe where there was a previous smell of fuel... the vehicle had covered less than 10,000 kilometres. This happened in September and I am stil waiting for Audi South Africa to give me a response... all I receive from the is that they are awaiting a response from their stakeholders...

Last edited by uberwgn; 12-29-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have added some photographs in the gallery. The vehicle was toast in under five minutes. if anyone knows how to upload the voice recording from Audi recovery and customer services please let me know as they told me on the phone that they could repar the vehicle, i told them its a melt down not a breakdown. Nothing but slow response and excusees to date. Fire happened 19 September 2016 and i am still waitingfor a decision from Audi.
After owning Audis all my life and purchasing at leat one new audi evey year i am shocked by the service that I have received.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

To insert pictures, click on "Insert Image" icon. It's right after the "Insert Link" icon on top of the message box. I am doing it for you this time if you don't mind.

These pictures break my heart. It must have been difficult for you to see your lovely car burn to the ground like that. So sorry

Last edited by kelisko; 12-29-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for moving the photographs into the post. My insurance had a full investigation done on the vehicle including full forensic tests and an inspection with Audi South Africa. Feel as though at the time i was treated like a criminal and had to do some investigations myself like interviewing the Tec from Audi that worked on my vehice as he admitted to myself and the forensic investigator that there had been a previous fuel problem. Even the estate where i live in Cape Town, their own security had noted and reported a fuel leak to my partner some fifteen miutes before but here we live the signal is poor this side of the mountain and i do not answer my phone when driving. Lots of statements from witnesses including Audi staff from two dealerships.

It was determined that there was no foul play but i still and wait for a decision from Aud, not to mention my personal possessions inside the vehicle, jeans torn trying to get out, cut arm, sore tendon in hand and bruises trying to smash the window and to my elbow as the car had a smash and grab film fitted by the dealer. Smoke inhalation from the plastic burning and my lungs were sore for days. If i had had children in the vehicle which i did some fifteen minutes before I might have not got them all out as it took a little under four minutes from smoke to total burn out. Absoultly terrifying and luckily this did not happen in some other part of South Africa where the situation could have been much more serious or even the highway. I know i love my Audis but i dont intend being buried in one. The only thing that saved me was keeping calm and planning my exit. If it had been my wifey and kids the outcome could have been very different.

My lovely car had the full S line package with xenon lights, full 3D navigation, black pack and factory 19 inch wheels. What hurts more is the wait for Audi to make a decision and while they are off on xmas leave i am sitting deciding if i should ever purchase another Audi as the suoport just does not seem to be forth coming that i would have expected from Audi.

Presently deterring two motorging magaines that whish to do a story on what happened and pay me the balance between my vehicle and a brand new one.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So sorry to read about your terrifying ordeal with your A4. Glad you are safe and none of your family members were with you during this incident. I hope Audi South Africa and/or your Audi dealership steps up to the plate and give you proper compensation for the loss of your A4. You seem to have done your homework and gathered as much statements and photos that could be used to defend your claim. Good thing this happened sometime after they repaired a fuel leak in your car. There is a direct link to the cause of the fire.

I suggest keeping those car magazines at bay until you are sure Audi and your dealership is giving you the run-around or refusing to do anything on this matter. Otherwise, it could jeopardize your claim. If and when you do decide to sell your story to the car mags, you should negotiate a higher price for it. The difference between the value of your 6 month old 2016 B8.5 Audi A4 vs a new similarly equipped 2017 B9 A4 is just chump change. I believe you should be paid more for the story especially if it comes complete with testimonies and photos.

As for those corporate blokes in Audi South Africa, an incident like yours needs immediate attention whether they are away on holidays or not. They're having fun while you're stressed and anxious to get this matter resolved so you can move on and, at least, enjoy the holiday season with your family.

Last edited by plat27265; 12-29-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If this would have happned in europe the problem would have been sorted within a week.

As for jepordising my claim. It is not about the money but principal as I could so easily have been killed.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonf72
If this would have happned in europe the problem would have been sorted within a week.

As for jepordising my claim. It is not about the money but principal as I could so easily have been killed.
Sorry if you misunderstood my statement by thinking that the 'claim' means only money. I meant everything, money and/or principle. Yes, I agree, it is really about the principle. I wish you all the luck and I hope you come out on top of this matter.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no bad feeling on my part
Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that it gets resolved quickly. That was a hot fire!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Trying to upload the official response from Audi SA

It is shocking that Audi have refused the claim based on the fact that the dealership neglected to book the vehicle in as it was as they said a five minute repair and not worth the paperwork.

Please not that both the insurance forensic assessor and myself have separate admissions that he did the modification or repair to this fuel pipe. My insurance company even have a voice recoding admitting this from the Audi tec

Last edited by jonf72; 04-08-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: My Six month old 2016 Audi bursts into flames