A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Need help to figure a hood alignment (no experience)

Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to figure a hood alignment (no experience)

Hi
so last year I had a minor accident on front passanger side of the car, I am currently slowly fixing or at least making look better of the situation, but im stuck on this alignment in
the hood... the is a separation between the hood and the fender that makes it look like its open.

any idea where to begin to look on how to align it? I check the hindge from where it was impact and looks fine...

pics for reference, sorry I have no inside pic.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will add that when trying to push that side, it doesnt go nowhere... the other side has a nice flush.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispel
Will add that when trying to push that side, it doesnt go nowhere... the other side has a nice flush.
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like either the hood or the hinge is bent or maybe both of them are. Talk to someone at an auto body shop. They'll give you and idea what to do.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not sure if anything is bent, but if you open the hood and look towards the front protruding from underneath the hood you'll see two plastic stops on either side that you can turn to adjust their length. These are used to align the hood with the fender and they control where the left and right side of the hood sits and stops when you close it. I don't know if they can be extended that far to create such a gap, but this is the place to start. I don't have a picture, so if you don't find what I'm talking about, I can take a picture. My passenger side one has a tendency to screw itself in from the cars vibration producing a gap the other direction from yours, so I have to adjust it from time to time. I think it's a little looser than it's supposed to be.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not sure if anything is bent, but if you open the hood and look towards the front protruding from underneath the hood you'll see two plastic stops on either side that you can turn to adjust their length. These are used to align the hood with the fender and they control where the left and right side of the hood sits and stops when you close it. I don't know if they can be extended that far to create such a gap, but this is the place to start. I don't have a picture, so if you don't find what I'm talking about, I can take a picture. My passenger side one has a tendency to screw itself in from the cars vibration producing a gap the other direction from yours, so I have to adjust it from time to time. I think it's a little looser than it's supposed to be.
I verified those rubber stoppers and tried to lowered it and even removed it from that side and nothing... still the same.

I am trying to think I might need to put some spacers on the fender to raise it up a bit.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like either the hood or the hinge is bent or maybe both of them are. Talk to someone at an auto body shop. They'll give you and idea what to do.
I might try that, starting to think I need to raise that fender with some sort of spacer to see if it makes a difference

Thanks
thanks