A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New 2010 vs. Used 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2010 vs. Used 2010

What type of negotiating power does mileage put on a car?

For example, a used 2010 A4 with 5-6K miles on it versus a comparable new 2010 A4? Assuming all options are the same, how much less would you expect to pay for the used A4 with those miles?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar deal on a 2009 A4 in Canada, it had about 6.5K miles (10.5K KM) and I saved about 20% from the full list price + shipping and prep, but they forced me to buy the Audi Assured extended waranty for $ 2,000.00 CAN. on top.

That gave me a 1.9% financing rate for 2 years and brought the total warranty on the car to 5.75 years.

The car had been used by a regional Audi rep. It has adaptive Xenon, side assist, home link, Drive select, memory seats...

I thought it was a good deal.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for that information. I would think 20% off the MSRP would make it worth it. I like that answer

There are no finance deals listed currently on the Audi website for the 2010, I wonder if they'd negotiate that. And here in the US, the factory warranty should still be included, so no need for an extended warranty, right?

Looking forward to other thoughts/experiences....
Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2009 Premium Plus used with 3000 miles on it for a significant discount. The only catch is that it wasn't Audi Certified Pre-owned, so it only came with the balance of factory warranty. In the case of my car, it was a privately owned car that was traded in for a Q5, buyers remorse I guess. It seems common as I see a few 2010s with the same mileage and history at the local dealers. One thing you might want to avoid is any car used as a dealer loaner, they tend to get beat on. The corporate lease cars that Audi executives used are usually fine. These cars usually have a Carfax that lists the car as a corporate lease and titled in Virginia.

One thing to keep in mind is that the pricing on used cars is flexible, likely more so then new. One thing you can haggle on is if the car isn't CPO. Besides not having the extended warranty, non-CPO cars don't qualify for Audi Financial's promotional interest rates.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jhickey
And here in the US, the factory warranty should still be included, so no need for an extended warranty, right?
In Canada, the remaining portion of the 4 year warranty (3.75 years) still applied, but since I want to keep my car for a long time (just replaced my 1998 A4...) I do not mind to have a car with a 5.75 year warranty !
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Supposedly this car is the general manager's car, it's not listed as CPO and CarFax doesn't list it as a corporate lease. That's good information about the non-CPO not qualifying for the Audi Finance promo rates and I will make sure it was not a dealer loaner...

Given the above information, do you think an extended warranty a good idea or will the balance of the factory warranty suffice?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
In Canada, the remaining portion of the 4 year warranty (3.75 years) still applied, but since I want to keep my car for a long time (just replaced my 1998 A4...) I do not mind to have a car with a 5.75 year warranty !
Thanks for clarifying! This will replace a 2002 Honda and I intend to have it for 7-10 years, so perhaps an extended warranty is something to consider after all.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The only thing that bugged me in the deal I got was that since the car was over 10K km, it did not qualified for an insurance at full replacement value with any insurance company in Canada, so I puchased the dealer full replacement value insurance that cost more, maybe it is something you want to look into and double check the coverage you can get...

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhickey
Supposedly this car is the general manager's car, it's not listed as CPO and CarFax doesn't list it as a corporate lease. That's good information about the non-CPO not qualifying for the Audi Finance promo rates and I will make sure it was not a dealer loaner...

Given the above information, do you think an extended warranty a good idea or will the balance of the factory warranty suffice?
Well around here the general mangers usually drive A8s . If its a Prestige or Premium Plus package car with navigation, chances are it was indeed a managers. Usually loaners are base models. If the car has over 5000 miles there is no reason why it shouldn't be CPO as thats the minimum mileage the car needs to qualify.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
Well around here the general mangers usually drive A8s . If its a Prestige or Premium Plus package car with navigation, chances are it was indeed a managers. Usually loaners are base models. If the car has over 5000 miles there is no reason why it shouldn't be CPO as thats the minimum mileage the car needs to qualify.
Thank you so much for telling me about the minimum mileage for the CPO! I will bring that up when I speak to them again on Friday. It was initially listed online at 3K but when seeing it today it was over 5K so maybe they will certify it at this point. It is a Premium Plus with Navigation so I'll take them at their word that it was a manager's car.

I'm just not going to pay a new car price for a used car, even if it is a 2010 so I hope they're willing to negotiate aggressively.

Quick Reply: New 2010 vs. Used 2010