A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

new A4 versus used A6?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new A4 versus used A6?

I'd really like to get a Prestige level A4 Avant. But these are rare so I'm considering the sedans, and P+ as well (I'd really love to get that side mirror passing sensor but that's only available on the Prestige).

Anyway, if I can't get my beloved Avant and have to "settle", what about settling for a 2 year old A6 sedan with quattro for about the same dollars? Any comments? thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

What do you mean, "rare," can't you just go to your dealer and order one, or are they on some kind of allocation and they aren't allowed to order one?

Even the TT, when it first came out could be ordered "as the customer specified" and those cars, initially, were very "rare."
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
What do you mean, "rare," can't you just go to your dealer and order one, or are they on some kind of allocation and they aren't allowed to order one?

Even the TT, when it first came out could be ordered "as the customer specified" and those cars, initially, were very "rare."
He probably just means rare on the lots.. since they move fast, or are ordered for people directly.

I think people still have the stigma that ordering a car is more expensive than taking one off of the lot..
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I was shopping for my Avant I actually decided to save the money and get the P+ because I loathed that blind spot indicator. I would turn it off and never touch it again. I also thought the extra step to push the start button on the center console was inconvenient and adding an extra step to am already rather dumb starting procedure. Just give me a key that I know will always work.

Not only can you find a lot more P+ packages but there is a large chunk of money to save in the process. Unless of course you need the S-Line package, in which case forget everything I just said.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once you get to the price level that a prestige level audi will cost, just special order. You'll forget the 3 month wait every day that you enjoy driving exactly what you wanted.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Two weeks ago got a 2010 left over Avant P+ for $35,600 plus doc fee ($400) .

I got the elusive and always forgotten Dakar beige!

Is it the color of my dreams? No.

Is it for my wife. Yep!

Check inventories. The key is Audi forces the dealers to buy the cars and gives them $4000 to help them out with it.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting idea going with a used A6. I thought about it myself, but the thing to keep in mind is that if you go with an A6, you want one newer than 2008 so that you get the sweet 3.0T motor (pretty much the same as the S4 motor). the older A6's had the 3.2L V6 that was pretty much widely panned as dog slow. Just to salt the wound, I think it also got worse fuel economy than the 3.0T. I know the dealers couldn't give away the 08 leftovers when the 09's with the new engine came out. I'd bet you a shiny quarter you can still find a few 08 leftovers on the lot.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UnsavedOne
When I was shopping for my Avant I actually decided to save the money and get the P+ because I loathed that blind spot indicator. I would turn it off and never touch it again. I also thought the extra step to push the start button on the center console was inconvenient and adding an extra step to am already rather dumb starting procedure. Just give me a key that I know will always work.

Not only can you find a lot more P+ packages but there is a large chunk of money to save in the process. Unless of course you need the S-Line package, in which case forget everything I just said.
You don't HAVE to have blind spot detection with Prestige. I ordered mine without it. If you're looking at cars in dealer inventory you're probably screwed though since at that level they're going to load it up.

Agreed about S-Line. If S-Line wasn't a mandatory thing for mine I'd likely have gone with a P+ even though I'm totally spoiled now since my M3 has Comfort Access. It's a must have feature for me now.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bargamon
Two weeks ago got a 2010 left over Avant P+ for $35,600 plus doc fee ($400) .

I got the elusive and always forgotten Dakar beige!

Is it the color of my dreams? No.

Is it for my wife. Yep!

Check inventories. The key is Audi forces the dealers to buy the cars and gives them $4000 to help them out with it.
You know, it's not that I dislike Dakar (it's really not bad, with the right stance and wheels it could be pretty sweet) it's that it's married to Cardamom and I HATE Cardamom.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
You don't HAVE to have blind spot detection with Prestige. I ordered mine without it. If you're looking at cars in dealer inventory you're probably screwed though since at that level they're going to load it up.
+1 My A4 has the Prestige and Sport Packages without blind spot detection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new A4 versus used A6?