A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Audi A4 (B8) owner - Sat Nav upgrade query

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi A4 (B8) owner - Sat Nav upgrade query

Hi there, I bought a 2010 2.0 TDi last week, and so far, I'm delighted with the car!

I do have a couple of questions though... I've read a few various articles about it but nothing overly definitive.

I want to upgrade my Sat Nav maps. I think I have the 3G MMI... I have two SD card slots, no SIM, no B&O sound system/speakers... Just a DVD drive, that will not eject.

My 2 questions are:

1 - Is it definitely the 3G (not a plus or extra or whatever else the other options are)

2 - How do I get the DVD out? Or, can I just upgrade via an SD Card.

I had read that some Audi dealerships were upgrading the sat nav software for free, so I rang my local one and was quoted over £200 for the latest DVD...
So that's out of the question.

I assume I still have the first version of the maps, as there's a new road in my town that isn't there on the nav and its been there for a good few years now.

What would everyone recommend I do? I've seen DVDs and SD cards on ebay for £20-£40 .... I'd rather get an official DVD and then copy it to an SD Card (I would then have piece of mind that the DVD would be a safer and official item, rather than a potentially dodgy SD card that anyone could have copied.

However, if I was given a reliable source to download the update myself, then that'd be perfect!

Hope someone can help.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,582 Posts

MMI 3G+ was a B8.5 thing. You have to be more specific regarding MMI, ie, are you High or Low/Basic? Here, if you have MMI, you have MMI High. There, you might be either. Check the software version info in your MMI interface. It'll say HNav or BNav.
MMI 3G High uses SD cards to update the files on the hard drive. MMI 3G Basic might still use a DVD disc in a drive.
The Communication Repair Manual implies that MMI 2G High was a DVD in a drive in the left rear cargo area and MMI 2G Basic was a DVD in a drive in the glove box. And that MMI 3G (without reference to High or Basic) uses a hard drive, updated via SD card. Maybe it just wasn't being thorough enough, and MMI 3G Basic also uses a glove box mounted DVD drive. No idea.

https://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-gener...avigation.html
Firmware updating looks like an unmanaged fiasco for those Euro cars.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends on if you have the DVD based navigation system (PNW) or the hard drive based (PNG). If you have a "Jukebox" selection as media input, you have the PNG. If you have the DVD based system, the navigator needs to have the DVD in the drive. The eject function is "locked" for theft protection and needs to be unlocked via the OBD diagnose system (VCDS or I would think that OBDeleven Pro should be able to do it). I had the Audi dealer unlock my "2G DVD navigation drive" to be able to replace the DVD my self.
(Now I have a 3G+ hard drive based system in my B8.5 which is more complicated so I dug deep in my pocket and let Audi update.) With any update, you can't be sure that roads newer than a couple of years to be included.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 880 Likes on 719 Posts

It also depends on the OPs location. Audi had different offerings depending on location.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
With any update, you can't be sure that roads newer than a couple of years to be included.
It's simple enough to find a DVD image and burn it to update my MMI 2G, but my Mom's car is like the MMI 3G. She just uses Google Maps on her phone instead of the car supplied nav. Always up to date for free.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not sure if this helps, but my software version is:

BNav_EU_P0029_D1

Nav DB version

4G091884G_ECE 5.11.8

I'd like to buy an SD card from ebay with the latest version... or a DVD... I was hoping there'd be someone kind enough out there to have shared it as a free download. But I will pay if I have to...
Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TommyAwesome
Not sure if this helps, but my software version is:

BNav_EU_P0029_D1

Nav DB version

4G091884G_ECE 5.11.8

I'd like to buy an SD card from ebay with the latest version... or a DVD... I was hoping there'd be someone kind enough out there to have shared it as a free download. But I will pay if I have to...
If you have sorted this out, would you be kind enough and share a free download with me?
Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mrjm
If you have sorted this out, would you be kind enough and share a free download with me?
I never got around to ordering from eBay or finding a free download.