A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New (to me) A4 - question on hands-free

Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) A4 - question on hands-free

Just got a 2009 A4 Prestige, Bluetooth pairs fine with my iPhone 4 and calls coming in show up on the MMI display. I can answer/make calls but when i hit the push-to-talk button display says Button Inactive. It there a separate hands-free option I don't have? I don't have the MMI manual either, is it not easily available at audi's site? Seems odd.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by topaz99
Just got a 2009 A4 Prestige, Bluetooth pairs fine with my iPhone 4 and calls coming in show up on the MMI display. I can answer/make calls but when i hit the push-to-talk button display says Button Inactive. It there a separate hands-free option I don't have? I don't have the MMI manual either, is it not easily available at audi's site? Seems odd.
I am a bit confused as to what is working and what isn't. You say you can answer calls? And you can make calls? Does this mean you can do so through the MMI? Do you hear your caller through the stereo system? Can they hear you? What do you mean by the "push-to-talk" button?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

incoming calls show up on the MMI and mute the stereo. i can answer with the steering wheel control or with my phone but the other person can't hear me. i can make outgoing calls by selecting the name from the MMI or steering wheel control but no sound. i'm referring to the push-to-talk button on the steering wheel
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

incoming calls show up on the MMI and mute the stereo. i can answer with the steering wheel control or with my phone but the other person can't hear me. i can make outgoing calls by selecting the name from the MMI or steering wheel control but no sound. i'm referring to the push-to-talk button on the steering wheel
Ah. Sounds more like the microphone might be broken. As for the steering wheel, I think you may be referring to the voice command button (does it have a picture of a head with little half circles next to it?). That button does not function when the phone is on, since the microphone is being used by the handsfree system.

Push that button when not on the phone, and you should hear a beep. You can then say things like "Call mom" or if you have the nav, "Enter City", etc...

Also a good way to test out the microphone, btw -- if you can execute voice commands successfully, then the microphone is physically working and it's an issue with the bluetooth module. My guess is, voice commands aren't going to work either.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

ok that makes a lot of sense. could it be the mic is turned off? i didn't see anywhere in the MMI a way to turn the mic on and off. I do recall once seeing what looked like a 'mute' icon on the bottom of the MMI display (speaker with a line through it). or could that icon mean the audo is just malfunctioning. also don't have the MMI manual
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ok that makes a lot of sense. could it be the mic is turned off? i didn't see anywhere in the MMI a way to turn the mic on and off. I do recall once seeing what looked like a 'mute' icon on the bottom of the MMI display (speaker with a line through it). or could that icon mean the audo is just malfunctioning. also don't have the MMI manual
I am not aware of any way to turn the mic off. Unfortunately, it kinda sounds like you may have a physical connection problem somewhere.

The "mute" icon at the bottom appears when you turn the sound all the way down (i.e., when the volume in the car is totally muted). You should see it appear if you press the volume **** too.

Do you have any sort of warranty? Was it purchased from a dealer or private party?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sourdough Josh
I am not aware of any way to turn the mic off. Unfortunately, it kinda sounds like you may have a physical connection problem somewhere.

The "mute" icon at the bottom appears when you turn the sound all the way down (i.e., when the volume in the car is totally muted). You should see it appear if you press the volume **** too.
I don't think this is the problem, but "Microphone Off" setting is available under "Options", while a call is active. It should show a message on the display.

The Mute function (of the sound system) is automatic when making/receiving a call.

There seems to be many versions of "Speach Dialoge"/"Voice Command"/"Telephone Voice Tags". I read that some cars have the possibility to record voice tags, but have the function disabled.
Try to get the hands-free function working first.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audi8k
I don't think this is the problem, but "Microphone Off" setting is available under "Options", while a call is active. It should show a message on the display.

The Mute function (of the sound system) is automatic when making/receiving a call.

There seems to be many versions of "Speach Dialoge"/"Voice Command"/"Telephone Voice Tags". I read that some cars have the possibility to record voice tags, but have the function disabled.
Try to get the hands-free function working first.
Hmm. But isn't that option only active for the current call (i.e., real-time temporary mute)? I've never used it, so I could be incorrect.

The poster is suggesting that he is never heard by the receiving end, from the get-go...
Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sourdough Josh
Hmm. But isn't that option only active for the current call (i.e., real-time temporary mute)? I've never used it, so I could be incorrect.

The poster is suggesting that he is never heard by the receiving end, from the get-go...
Yes (to both).
That is the reason I wrote "I don't think this is the problem, but "Microphone Off" setting is available under "Options", while a call is active."
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are you hitting the button with the picture of the face or hitting the scroll wheel button to pick up?

to pick up a call and to select a number from the directory, i press the scroll wheel not the "push-to-talk" button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (to me) A4 - question on hands-free