A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Member - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Need help!

Greetings from a new member!

I bought my first Audi about 8 weeks ago. Proud owner of a 2012 A4 PP with Nav and S-line exterior. The car has 30K miles, manual transmission and I bought CPO from Audi Minneapolis. Pic is below as I have read enough posts to know that it is not real without a picture. I have read most threads on this forum from present back to 2012 and I have read many threads on other online forums as well. I have found AudiWorld seems to have the best information and response rate, so finally created my account today.

For additional background, the previous owner had purchased AudiCare, and since it was CPO that transferred to me. I had the 35K service performed last week since a year had passed from the 25K service (since I only have 32K on the car now). Plugs were replaced as part of the 32K service.

I am having a couple of problems and hoping you can help:

1. On my first drive of the day, after the car has been sitting in my garage all night and is "cold" (I use that term loosely as most mornings it has been in the 60's or 70's outside and probably a little warmer in my garage) I notice that it runs VERY rough. The car hesitates and just does not drive well for the first 2-3 minutes. Once it reaches operating temp, it runs almost perfect. Even if I let the car sit for 3-4 hours, it will display this problem slightly, but nothing like it does when sitting overnight. I am very fearful for how it will run in the winter when it gets really cold (I live near Fargo ND, so it gets cold). I am thinking that it should not be like this when it is still warm outside. No other car I have ever owned acted like this on cold start (unless it was really cold outside). Can you let me know if this is normal? If not normal, and I expect that it isn't, do you have any ideas what may be causing this?

2. When driving, it just doesn't seem like it has full power under normal acceleration. When I step on it, it seems to be just fine, but when driving normal, it seems to struggle. It is barely perceptible when the car is warm, but it feels like subtle hesitation from 2K to 3K RPM. I notice a distinct hesitation specifically at 3.2K RPM's every time I am driving under normal acceleration, but I suspect this is where the turbo is kicking in or something. I drove another car almost identical to mine yesterday from another dealership who happened to have a 2011 with a manual. I could detect the same minor hesitation at 3.2K RPM as I do in mine, so I suspect that part of my problem is "normal" but the acceleration of the other car at other speeds and specifically between 2K to 3K was much smoother than mine (even though the car is a year older with 12K more miles). Any ideas what might cause this hesitation at lower RPM's? Seems related to issue 1, as it is just a more subtle version of the same problem.

3. I can also get the car to hesitate on occasion when in higher gears at higher speeds. For example, if I get on the interstate and am going 40 in 4th gear and mash the pedal to the floor, I can feel slight hesitation after a couple of seconds of acceleration (not sure at what point in the RPM range, but suspect it is near 3K. Thoughts? Is this normal?

I brought all of these issues up during the 35K service last week and frankly I was hoping it was spark plug related, so when I picked up the car the service manager said the mechanic didn't notice any issues and that there were no fault codes, so everything was OK. I thought it was better, but after driving the other car yesterday I am pretty sure there is something wrong with my car. I am planning on bringing it back to the dealer next week and am hoping that any insight members here are able to provide may help me get this issue fixed, as I suspect the dealer will not do too much investigative work on their own.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope you can help me out. Picture below:

Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps dirty injectors? I'm experiencing something similar. Stuttery power under lazy acceleration between 1900-2300 RPM. Rough idle on cold engine.

2014 with 30k miles. I've order a bottle of Audi G17 injector cleaner, and will run a couple tanks of e85.

Don't know about any hesitation at 3200. The turbo should be providing some boost all the way down at 1500RPM.

Last edited by Nostromo; 09-19-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ran two tanks of Techron now and it didn't make any difference, so not sure it is dirty injectors. Let me know if you have any luck with the G17.