A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

New Varta Battery Where is the BEM Code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TCHUN003
Will I still be able to just change 1 number and be okay?
I don't see why not...assuming you've got the VCDS cable.

If you can post a shot of the QR code on top of the new battery, we may be able to help you create the actual code you need to enter.

The thing I don't know is whether the BEM system needs to be alerted to these pieces of new data:

• AGM vs traditional flooded style
  • date of mfr
  • battery capacity
I don't know how smart the system is.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Uber-
Dead thread, I know. But I'm going through a similar situation looking for a BEM because I've replaced a stock 75A AGM battery with a new 95A AGM battery, built by JCI (who builds for Varta in the US) but under the Autocraft label. I've gotten a Varta BEM and may have to try that, but with regards to programming?
Yes, it is VERY important to put in the correct BEM for the battery installed. Wet lead and AGM need different charging profiles, and using the wrong profile will lead to an early battery death. AGM batteries can last 8+ years with proper charging, and the late model BMS (battery management system) certainly seems to have enough information to do it properly, from what VCDS shows. But my original was replaced after a year (for good reason) and the replacement has only lasted 3-1/2 more years, despite loads of tender care. I'm not entirely sure the Audi BMS is up to the task, even when it has the right numbers.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Well, you've already had a go at this in the audizine thread, so you already know that info. From the Ross-Tech, it appears the coding is part number, manu code, date code, serial number. If there's any component that will tell the computer anything about the battery specs, it'll be the part number. So you'll need to find the audi battery part number that relates to the specs of the battery you've put into the car. That's my guess. I find it very unlikely Audi will provide sufficient information for you to confirm the coding values and how the system functionally processes those values. Hell, if we're still having to wonder about this 10 years later, clearly Audi is not helping its customers.

For your AGM to only last a few years, that seems nuts. My factory AGM battery will be 10 years old this August. Personally, I'd harass JCI and AoA for their anti-consumer practices regarding this hocus pocus system. See if they can't figure out how to help their customer actually use their product correctly. And "go to dealership" is bs. Dealerships don't want to figure out correct answers if it requires more then a second of their time. They no doubt know how to "make the customer go away" quickly; hell, it's even in their best interest for your product to get screwed up. They can't sell you anything if don't make sure you need something.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Also, seems Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki is updated, and the UDS section shows picking the battery size rather than entering a part number. So you might need to confirm what the adaptation process on your vehicle asks for.