A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

OEM Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM
ks7
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Audio

How is the OEM Audio on the A4? Unfortunately in my hunt to find a manual transmission, the one I found did not have the B&O upgraded audio.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you've heard the B&O before or really want it, you'll probably be disappointed with the OEM stereo. It took me about a year to get used to mine.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
ks7
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fauxtek
If you've heard the B&O before or really want it, you'll probably be disappointed with the OEM stereo. It took me about a year to get used to mine.
Have not heard it before but have the Harmom Kardon in my old 2002 3-series. Anyone eventually upgrade the OEM stereo and what did you get?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM
ks7
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fauxtek
That is what I was afraid of. I did listen to some songs on my ipod when I test drove it and it sounded ok but I don't think mp3s in retrospect way to determine the quality of the sound system.

Are we the only ones who didn't get the B&O? Looking for other opinions on the base sounds system.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ks7
That is what I was afraid of. I did listen to some songs on my ipod when I test drove it and it sounded ok but I don't think mp3s in retrospect way to determine the quality of the sound system.

Are we the only ones who didn't get the B&O? Looking for other opinions on the base sounds system.
Right. Try using full resolution music files (via USB) and you will hear a great improvement confirming that MP3s are not sufficiently revealing.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default comments

I'm a bit of an audiophile and prefer the B&O but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Standard is only 180 watts but it's a very clean sounding system.

B&O is 505 watts so there is a big difference.

A few observations:

The standard system lets you adjust bass, treb and has a separate gain control for the sub.

B&O does not have a separate gain control. Just bass and treb.

At low to moderate volume levels the standard system sounds richer than the B&O system. B&O doesn't seem to produce much bass at lower levels. I've read about some wanting to upgrade the B&O subwoofer with something that will hit harder and I can understand wanting to do this due to the lack of bass at a lower volume but at high volume I think it's impressive. Despite this complaint, I can't imagine going through the hassle of changing the woofer. Not to mention warranty denial if any component of the B&O system stops working.

At high volume levels the B&O sounds amazing with excellent bass. I lived with a 2012 Prestige for over a week while ours was in for service so I had a good chance to play with the B&O system. Both systems are clear even at high volume but the B&O will give you chills. (in a good way)

I listen to satellite radio and tend to go between "watercolors" "realjazz" and "bpm". Listening to B&O on realjazz at high volume is a treat. You can here everything very clear. A 17 piece band sounds better than being there in person. Listening to bpm which is lounge/club music is fine on either system.

Another item to note: I've read about people thinking that the sub on the B&O is small with a small magnet and doesn't weigh much therefore it must be garbage. That is ridiculous and these people demonstrate their lack of knowledge of speaker technology. You don't have to have a large ghetto size stereo adding weight and taking up space in your car to have good sound.

As I said above, I can live with the standard system, the B&O would be preferred but not a deal breaker.

R
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Randolph
I'm a bit of an audiophile........
As am I.

Standard is only 180 watts but it's a very clean sounding system.
B&O is 505 watts so there is a big difference.
The standard plays louder than I can stand.

I listen to satellite radio and tend to go between "watercolors" "realjazz" and "bpm". Listening to B&O on realjazz at high volume is a treat. You can here everything very clear.
Satellite radio? Your audiophile credentials are rescinded.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
As am I.

The standard plays louder than I can stand.

Satellite radio? Your audiophile credentials are rescinded.
Ha Ha. Yes, satellite radio does leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound quality. Despite that, I think it's acceptable.

As you said above, full resolution via USB is a better way to go. I like satellite for the selection of music and ease of it.

R
Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Randolph
Ha Ha. Yes, satellite radio does leave a bit to be desired in terms of sound quality. Despite that, I think it's acceptable.

As you said above, full resolution via USB is a better way to go. I like satellite for the selection of music and ease of it.
Then, OK. I feel the same way about Internet Radio but I cannot find any programming I like on Sirius.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also a bit of an audiophile (built many custom systems in previous cars), and although I cannot comment on the standard system in an A4, I will say that I just got my new Audi with the B&O system, and it is very, very nice!

My last car was an '07 Acura TL, and I built a custom Rockford-Fosgate / Focal system in it. It was incredible sounding! Is the B&O as good as the custom system? no... but it's pretty close.

As mentioned in previous posts, the bass is a bit lacking at low volume, but at mid to higher volume the system is superb.

If you prioritize quality sound, then I would say to wait and find (or factory order) a car with the B&O system. You'll be annoyed if you don't...

Quick Reply: OEM Audio