A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil Capacity and Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Capacity and Dip Stick

I am a new Audi owner, actually my daughters first car which means I will be taking care of it for most things. Can someone please tell me the oil capacity for a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro? I had thought it was 4.6 lt but I just left the Audi dealer and parts guy said it was 5.5? Also, I would like my daughter to get used to checking the oil with a dip stick but Audi also just told me a dip stick is not recommended as it could ruin the sensors. Is this a common problem? The dipstick I was going to buy was 06J 115 611 E. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by frediani4
I am a new Audi owner, actually my daughters first car which means I will be taking care of it for most things. Can someone please tell me the oil capacity for a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro? I had thought it was 4.6 lt but I just left the Audi dealer and parts guy said it was 5.5? Also, I would like my daughter to get used to checking the oil with a dip stick but Audi also just told me a dip stick is not recommended as it could ruin the sensors. Is this a common problem? The dipstick I was going to buy was 06J 115 611 E. Any help would be appreciated.
4.6 is about right but you will find most dealers put in 5 Quarts. The little difference is not a problem and it keeps the e-dipstick at the full mark longer thus making the owner believe they are not using to much oil. You can buy the actual dipstick and it will not cause a sensor problem.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

4.6 liter aka 4.86 quart
That's the same dipstick part number as the one I bought, though I never really use it. Sits on a shelf.
It's annoying when the level display will not show for a while after you've opened the hood. But if I was doing something where I wanted to be sure there was oil present, I can break it out at those times.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
4.6 is about right but you will find most dealers put in 5 Quarts. The little difference is not a problem and it keeps the e-dipstick at the full mark longer thus making the owner believe they are not using to much oil. You can buy the actual dipstick and it will not cause a sensor problem.
Actual dipstick? which one is that? I would have thought the 'actual dipstick' would have come from the Audi dealer but they told me they don't sell them for that car.
On a side note: I changed the battery yesterday and now I have no power or reading to the center dash display screen. I tried re-setting it by watching a couple youtube videos and checked all the fuses. Is there an internal re-set that Audi will need to do? The fact that there is no power (won't accept a cd) and the screen stays black worries me a bit.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why did you change the battery? You can't recode the battery without a VAG-COM cable and VCDS or something similar (or the dealership). If you're going to own a VW/Audi product, you really want one of these cables anyway: ross-tech.com
My 2009 A4 has an August 2008 build date. Guess happy 10th birthday to my battery. Though I think it is time for a retirement party. engine off voltage is nearing 12.0v these days, though the car still isn't saying "replace battery" or such yet.

As for the controls, so there's nothing on the screen, and the CD changer isn't lighting up (press one of the buttons for a slot and it would normally flash and you'd hear some clicking). A/C control are functioning? Does the radio function (should still be able to see the station list and change stations and such via the instrument cluster screen)? Since you can run a scan for DTCs, you need to figure out what exactly is and isn't working, then you can try to determine what controls the barrier between the working and non-working domains.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actual dipstick? which one is that? I would have thought the 'actual dipstick' would have come from the Audi dealer but they told me they don't sell them for that car.
On a side note: I changed the battery yesterday and now I have no power or reading to the center dash display screen. I tried re-setting it by watching a couple youtube videos and checked all the fuses. Is there an internal re-set that Audi will need to do? The fact that there is no power (won't accept a cd) and the screen stays black worries me a bit.
Try this as the reason audi says there is no dipstick available is because it interferes with the hood. a 2008 dipstick will work.
Now for the battery issue it looks like you'll need to go to the dealer to get this fixed. Hopefully you didn't damage something when un-hooking and re-installing . You don't have the equipment required to reset the system. As cars get more electronics the old methods of doing things have changed. Even changing brake pads on cars with e-brake calipers has become a chore. I would call the dealer and hopefully you didn't fry something and it's just a reset. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The battery was dead. I know better than to just swap it out, but that is exactly what I did. There is NOTHING on the screen. No clicking, radio, cd, nothing. I thought I would take it to the Audi dealer when home from vacation. This is the Prestige, S-line. Would I assume it has navigation in that model. I could not find a Nav disc changer. I thought it was in the trunk or glove box?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The battery was dead. I know better than to just swap it out, but that is exactly what I did. There is NOTHING on the screen. No clicking, radio, cd, nothing. I thought I would take it to the Audi dealer when home from vacation. This is the Prestige, S-line. Would I assume it has navigation in that model. I could not find a Nav disc changer. I thought it was in the trunk or glove box?
Does the car start ? Is the new battery at full charge meaning did you charge it with a battery charger before you installed it. As for the options in the car I suspect it was on the used car listing so it's hard to tell unless you either read the list or see the car in person. I would assume the Prestige model would have a lot of options as standard. I think the nav cd player is in the trunk near the spare tire.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2009 A4 Prestige would have the navigation DVD unit behind the panel on the left side of the cargo/truck area, in the rack with the amp on top of it. In the dash is the 6 disc CD changer. In the glove box is the AMI connection. Assuming you have a wagon, or the sedan is like the wagon.
It has MMI 2G (versus the 3G that came in 2010 and 3G+ that came with the B8.5 in 2013); you should have the controls around the shifter area but see there's no joystick on top of the big selector dial.
LED tails didn't come till 2010 (except apparently the B8.0 wagon never got them in the US), 8 speed transmission not till 2011, and HD radio not till 2011 or 2012.
You'll have Bluetooth for hands free purposes, but using the built-in Bluetooth for audio playback didn't happen till the B8.5 refresh in 2013.

That's assuming you have a Prestige. Do you have the pull up sun screens in the rear doors?