A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

OIl Consumpt. Fix ? Rings or rebreather ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIl Consumpt. Fix ? Rings or rebreather ??

How many here who failed Audi's oil consumption test in their 2.0 , had it remedied by step One: which is A. new crankcase rebreather B.new crankcase seal C. Reflash of the computer .
And of those who had step One fail to remedy excessive oil consumption , how many here had step Two : New piston rings . And of those who got new rings , have you had any furthur issues related to ripping into the engine to re-ring it ??? And did the new rings remedy oil consumption to a reasonable level ?? Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Failed #1, they replaced the rings & pistons. Since the "fix" I have 7000 miles and still haven't used a quart of oil.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi dealer quoted success rate of 80-90% with the rebreather "fix" and charged $800. I am now in the testing phase. Dealer quoted $3700 for pistons/rings. I'll probably go to an independent shop for that fix, as I don't trust the "kids" who always overtorque the lugnuts to take the top off the engine and re-assemble everything else in the neighborhood that has to be removed. to access the pistons.
SO no other folks here been through this ? My warranty is expired. I asked if Audi would step up to the plate and was told -No. Wife loves the car otherwise ...........
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snuckley
Audi dealer quoted success rate of 80-90% with the rebreather "fix" and charged $800. I am now in the testing phase. Dealer quoted $3700 for pistons/rings. I'll probably go to an independent shop for that fix, as I don't trust the "kids" who always overtorque the lugnuts to take the top off the engine and re-assemble everything else in the neighborhood that has to be removed. to access the pistons.
SO no other folks here been through this ?
I've had the PCV replaced - but due to a failure, not oil consumption. I complain about oil usage every time I'm in, but they say "it's normal".

The PCV didn't change anything in terms of consumption for me - 1 qt per 3000 miles maybe - varies a bit.

How much is yours consuming? Causing any other issues?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now using 1 qt/ 650 mi , started using 1qt / 1500 ? or so from new. Wife's car, so early data is not real accurate. She was buying qts on the sly like a drinker hiding their empties. I tried to get her to deal with it under warranty, but she claimed to be too busy with work. I kept plenty of Castrol in the garage and urged her NOT to wait til 10,000mi for oil changes, but because the dealer said that's all it needs, she found it so easy to "only" go every 10,000mi. , even though I bought a case of Mann filters when she bought the A4 and can do an oil change in a Jiffy in my home garage. SHe didn't report the oil consumption because "she was too busy" to deal with it.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snuckley
Now using 1 qt/ 650 mi , started using 1qt / 1500 ? or so from new. Wife's car, so early data is not real accurate. She was buying qts on the sly like a drinker hiding their empties. I tried to get her to deal with it under warranty, but she claimed to be too busy with work. I kept plenty of Castrol in the garage and urged her NOT to wait til 10,000mi for oil changes, but because the dealer said that's all it needs, she found it so easy to "only" go every 10,000mi. , even though I bought a case of Mann filters when she bought the A4 and can do an oil change in a Jiffy in my home garage. SHe didn't report the oil consumption because "she was too busy" to deal with it.
1qt/650 miles is easily worse than even Audi's very loose "normal" definition. I'd search and see if you can find the TSB# for oil consumption, and maybe even see if your dealer would print you a copy of it - then call Audi of America and see if you can't talk them into at least helping you out on costs since it is a known issue. I think the TSB # is probably out there, or you can buy a 1 day subscription to erWin and get it...
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We failed the oil consumption test , via Audi's method of removing oil and weighing it etc. Dealer then called Audi US to ask what do they recommend the dealer fix next- answer- pistons and rings. Dealer calls to tell us a quote on the replacement. $3700. 30 minutes later dealer phones us to say AUdi USA agreed tp pay for repair of pistons/rings if we paid the first $500. I think that is reasonable. I am pleased, after initially being told by the dealer we'd be "on our own" at 68,000mi and having no extended warranty in place.
I did constantly remind the service advisor that the oil consumpt is a known problem and had been ongoing using >1qt/1000-1200mi well before it rolled over 50,000mi on the odometer. We did the control arm fix at one year old and have the powersteering jitter-issue, but never remedied.
Repeat- I will NOT buy an auto in the first year of a new model ever again. Lived through numerous 1st year issues in a 1999? Volvo S80R, that were well documented in many other S80's that year. Crazy electrical, front suspension issues. Volvo went on save wife's life in heavy collision- all repair gremlins forgiven.
We do enjoy the A4 Avant. It replaced a 2001 S4 Avant that sailed to 165,000 mi pretty easily.
I was getting upset with Audi's handling of the issue, and probably wasn't going to give them any more business. But now, maybe I will buy that S6 or S8 I've been dreaming of.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rings and pistons replaced, just passed 1000 miles. Oil level is ..................... Full ! No consumption in 1000mi, was using a quart in under 700mi. The service went smooth, I will change oil/filter at 5-6000mi max. moving forward. I changed oil every 5-6000mi for 170,000mi on the old S4 and sold it running fine with the original turbos. That was one bad batch of rings. Had Audi not helped out covering most of the cost of the reapair, I would have sold the car and stayed away from the brand.