A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Oil warning light

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil warning light

Hi, I have 6000 miles on my Audi 2009 A4 2.0 and recently the low oil warning light came on. I have taken it to an oil change place, where they changed the oil. However, the light is still on. The problem I have is that my nearest dealer is more than 3 hours away, and I do not want to take the car there if its just a minor issue I can resolve myself. Could/do I need to reset the MMI, if so how. Otherwise, any ideas?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hhmaker
Hi, I have 6000 miles on my Audi 2009 A4 2.0 and recently the low oil warning light came on. I have taken it to an oil change place, where they changed the oil. However, the light is still on. The problem I have is that my nearest dealer is more than 3 hours away, and I do not want to take the car there if its just a minor issue I can resolve myself. Could/do I need to reset the MMI, if so how. Otherwise, any ideas?
Thanks
Check your oil level in MMI and follow the proper oil level checking procedures listed in owner's mannual. The low oil level warning light should disappear if the oil level is ok.
The following users liked this post:
new to rings (04-26-2020)
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AutoRacer100
Check your oil level in MMI and follow the proper oil level checking procedures listed in owner's mannual. The low oil level warning light should disappear if the oil level is ok.
I have tried that and the MMI is still saying low oil level. I know that this cannot be right as I had the oil changed yesterday. So the light was/is on both before and after the change.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have tried that and the MMI is still saying low oil level. I know that this cannot be right as I had the oil changed yesterday. So the light was/is on both before and after the change.
What is the oil level reading on the dip stick (Max-Min) in MMI?

What type of oil did they put in your car?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What is the oil level reading on the dip stick (Max-Min) in MMI?

What type of oil did they put in your car?
There is no dipstick. And they put the synthetic oil that is recommended by Audi
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is no dipstick. And they put the synthetic oil that is recommended by Audi
There is an electronic dip stick in MMI. It displays current oil level between the Max and Min on MMI screen.

Press the "car" button, then go to check engine oil level. You will see what I'm talking about. It is also written in owner's mannual.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is an electronic dip stick in MMI. It displays current oil level between the Max and Min on MMI screen.

Press the "car" button, then go to check engine oil level. You will see what I'm talking about. It is also written in owner's mannual.
Thanks. I had tried that it still states that the oil level is low.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I had tried that it still states that the oil level is low.
To me there are a couple of possibilities -- the level sensor has failed, or they didn't actually put enough oil in. How sure are you they used the proper amount? Willing to bet your engine on it?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a local mechanic change oil once on my car. Without the dipstick, they had the toughest time putting oil in. We did it by constantly checking the electronic gauge. Let me tell you... it was not efficient; I went to the dealership next time.

They did mention at some point that this car takes quite a bit of oil.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lodaka
I had a local mechanic change oil once on my car. Without the dipstick, they had the toughest time putting oil in. We did it by constantly checking the electronic gauge. Let me tell you... it was not efficient; I went to the dealership next time.

They did mention at some point that this car takes quite a bit of oil.
The manual states the oil capacity of the engine. It shouldn't be difficult for a mechanic to put in the proper amount of oil without needing to check the dipstick/MMI multiple times.

Quick Reply: Oil warning light