A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

P0299 Error on recent purchase (2009)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0299 Error on recent purchase (2009)

CEL came on next day after I bought the car, took to the selling dealership and they brought out paper that said it was P0440 I believe, said it was loose gas cap, so I left and it was cleared, next day it came back on, so I took it to autozone and got this code.

Error Code P0299: Turbo/Super charger underboost

So I got a check engine light last night after reaching about 5000 rpms (don't go that high too often) and took it to Autozone and got this code pulled. The description their computer put out for 'Volkswagen' is as follows:

Explanation:
Faulty wastegate bypass regulator valve
Probable cause:
1. Mechanical damage at turbo/super charger
2. Faulty charge Air pressure sensor

I have a feeling the dealer knew about this and straight up lied to me. What am a looking at for costs on this? Best case/worst case. In the state of washington I dont have a grace period to return the car, and there is no lemon law per say for used cars, however being that my wife works for Microsoft we get free legal and I am thinking this should and will fall under the "Dealer must relay any problems with the car" and that they just cleared the P-code. Sadly I am not one to punch new cars when I buy them, I drive a bit timidly. Thanks in advance.

James
Old 09-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have popped that code several times. After checking for boost leaks the only thing I could always attribute it to was gas from a certain gas station. I stopped going there and have never gotten the code again. I would be curious if the car may have had software loaded by the previous owner. My 299 code didn't show up until I had APR software loaded. Not sure the 2 are related just my experience.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Cheers, my only concern is that I swore when I bought the car the oil level on the MMI showed full and then the next day it was down to about 1/4, took it back to the dealership and they said they didnt add any oil and it was back at full somehow in mmi, drive it for another day and its down to the 3/4 and then it hasnt moved since then. I have no oil leaks and I am not blowing any smoke out the rear, I have an appt with some audi gurus here in the pac nw so will know more on oct 2nd.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmcgeejr
Cheers, my only concern is that I swore when I bought the car the oil level on the MMI showed full and then the next day it was down to about 1/4, took it back to the dealership and they said they didnt add any oil and it was back at full somehow in mmi, drive it for another day and its down to the 3/4 and then it hasnt moved since then. I have no oil leaks and I am not blowing any smoke out the rear, I have an appt with some audi gurus here in the pac nw so will know more on oct 2nd.
My oil level goes up and down all the time too, often depending on how long it has been running. It's kind of pointless in my experience.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by tinfoilman
My oil level goes up and down all the time too, often depending on how long it has been running. It's kind of pointless in my experience.
You're only supposed to check the oil level after the engine is at normal operating temperature, but has not been running for several minutes.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
You're only supposed to check the oil level after the engine is at normal operating temperature, but has not been running for several minutes.

Just go buy a dip stick and check it the old fashion way.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just go buy a dip stick and check it the old fashion way.
At least give him the link:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...ick/ES1899235/
Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
That is definitely true, but I've found the readings still to be inconsistent.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm too am plagued by the P0299 on my new (but used) B8 A4. In my case however, it first appeared after getting the APR s/w loaded and driving aggressively. Since then I have had both the diverter valve and oil separator (PCV?) replaced, and in each case the CEL came back again after a bit of hard acceleration.

The car seems to run normal enough however...whatever that may be considering the relatively short amount of time I've been driving it. Turbo seems to be boosting fine, though cannot say if it is at its full potential or not. I do not hear any unusual sounds, or see any off-colored smoke etc...just that damn annoying light reminding me that something is still f'ed up.

I'm going to give the MAFS a good spraying tonight in the fleeting hope that that might resolve the issue. But aside from that, any thoughts as to what my next steps here are? There seems to be a lot of chatter in other forums regarding a faulty turbo/wastegate which apparently can trigger a P0299 - dear God I truly hope it isn't that! Ugh, I'll take my gas guzzling W8 (RIP) over this horse **** any day.

No doubt the folks over at the local APR tuning place I've been frequenting are as tired of seeing me as I am annoyed with their aloof and pretentious attitude. So, any recommendations for a independent Seattle-area Audi mechanic would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I read recently that "...the steering may shudder during low speed turns such as parking, requiring a revised power steering hose." Has anyone else experienced this? I always thought it was a bit odd to be honest but assumed it was "normal" with these cars.

cheers,

-SV
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sverdina
I'm too am plagued by the P0299 on my new (but used) B8 A4. ... I always thought it was a bit odd to be honest but assumed it was "normal" with these cars.

cheers,

-SV
I am dropping my car off at a local audi shop here in Seattle, once I get some info back on my car I will let you know what they find. Sorry for all your troubles mate.

Quick Reply: P0299 Error on recent purchase (2009)