A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Phone Book Download Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone Book Download Issues

I have a '09 A4 Premium with Bluetooth. Just got the new Palm Pre a few weeks ago. Phone book downloaded without any problems and worked for a couple of weeks. Now the phone book doesn't show up when I'm in the car. Has anyone else experience this and do you have a solution?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem with my Windows Mobile 6.1 based Samsung Omnia, except I have never gotten the phonebook to transfer. The phone will prompt me if I want to allow the car to access my contacts, I click 'yes' to the prompt and then nothing happens.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same issues on and off. I am trying to figure out which part of the BT that causes the issues. Then again I am reinstalling my phone all the time, and that usually fixes it.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Below is the fix that works for the Blackberry's. Maybe worth trying clearing all your call lists etc and seeing if that works.

"To ensure the contacts transfer to the phone book as displayed in the MMI screen do the following;

With your audi turned on and connected via bluetooth, disconnect and delete the pairing.
Switch your audi off ensuring the ignition is off too.
On you blackberry look at your email screen and hit the menu button and and select "view folder"
Scroll down and select "phone call logs"
Whilst holding the shift key scroll down to select all entries then delete them
Repeat step 4 & 5 but select "missed calls" instead of phone call logs
Now repair the blackberry with your audi.
Viola, the phone book will transfer.
The rationale for this fix is that the Blackberry memory stores all calls in a seperate part of its memory. if you delete the call logs from the phone screen i.e. when you select re-dial, this does not delete the items from the main "hidden" memory. The Bluetooth function tries to push the contacts from the "hidden"memory but becomes blocked due to its size. If you have not cleared the "hidden" memory in this way before you can have up to 9 months of call data stored in it which is too much for the bluetooth to handle."
Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Scotty~ I had to join just to give you mad props for this fix!!! I've been fiddling wih this for a week now since I got my '09 Avant. It's seriously been ruining my overall enjoyment of the car and I've wasted countless hours trying to figure it out. Seriously, thanks a million man!!! There are A LOT of us out there with this same problem.

IOU1
~Marc
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The praise should go to a guy called Kevin in the UK.

He posted the fix on vwaudiforum.com :

Originally Posted by Kj5cott
Gents, I have had the same problem in the past and have spent nealry a year trying to get an answer from Blackberry and Audi. Good news is I;ve got the solution.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iaonbb
Scotty~ I had to join just to give you mad props for this fix!!! I've been fiddling wih this for a week now since I got my '09 Avant. It's seriously been ruining my overall enjoyment of the car and I've wasted countless hours trying to figure it out. Seriously, thanks a million man!!! There are A LOT of us out there with this same problem.

IOU1
~Marc
Clearing the call logs also worked on my Windows Mobile phone.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It works

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
Clearing the call logs also worked on my Windows Mobile phone.
I have been talking to Audi customer service who is been trying to be very helpful, however the fix works which they have still not been able to figure out. I can't thank everyone enough. This is a big relief of a big headache.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

audi.com/bluetooth is what audi customer service told me to check if your phone is compatable
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
audi.com/bluetooth is what audi customer service told me to check if your phone is compatable
Yes, but what they tell you only in the fine print is that it only applies to MMI radios meaning you ordered the NAV system. I did not as it was not worth the $2500 extra when you can buy a portable one for $300 for the few times you need it. My dealer's option was for me to now pay $2500 to upgrade - thanks but no thanks. Audi USA told me that the contact portion of the phone is just not now compatible with my car radio - not much help. Here is where I found a free and easy solution. While this is a great forum to find answers and I commend Scotty for the info - Audi USA should know this too and it is embarrassing that they don't. How many engineers and tech people work there? Still love the car but that kind of help does not give one much confidence in customer service. I am sure I am not the only one who is or has complained of this issue. Thanks again for the info and support.