A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?

My 2009 A4 Avant's been burning oil at a pretty high rate (about 1 qt every 1k mile or less). The dealer performed an oil consumption test and recommended having the piston replaced. Has everyone heard of this being done to resolve oil consumption issues? My understand is that oil burning is caused by the cylinder not sealed properly (no?). Will replacing pistons alone resolve the problem?

While the work is covered under the warranty, I'm still worried that it may have lasting impact on the car. Should/can I request extended warranty, at least on the related area, from the dealer or Audi of America?

Btw, the oil consumption test the dealer performed is a two-part procedure. The first part is doing an oil change and taking a baseline of the car. After 800 miles driven, the car is taken back for the second part, which I assume is an oil analysis.

Thanks for your input!

Chris
Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

here...

here..

and the BIG thread:

Here

There are many more threads about the issue but those should fill you in on what's known.

I can't answer your question as I have no first hand experience with the problem. No oil burning here.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks so much for the quick reply! The links are quite helpful. I'm taking my car in soon for the piston work and also have requested a warranty extension. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
here...

here..

and the BIG thread:

Here

There are many more threads about the issue but those should fill you in on what's known.

I can't answer your question as I have no first hand experience with the problem. No oil burning here.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

All the best.

Let us know the outcome.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car had the piston rings & pistons replaced. Have since put 5500 miles on the car and it's looking like I might get 10,000 miles out of the qt of oil. They will be replacing the pistons, rings & connecting rod bearings if needed. It's nice that Audi stepped up to the plate on this issue. Must cost then approx 4k per fix.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the pistons and rings replaced about two weeks ago. Too early to tell if the repair has resolved the oil consumption problem.

Have you requested for an extended warranty? I did and got rejected! And they wouldn't reconsider the request. I'll post on the Audizine thread and see if people have some suggestions...

Originally Posted by FSures
My car had the piston rings & pistons replaced. Have since put 5500 miles on the car and it's looking like I might get 10,000 miles out of the qt of oil. They will be replacing the pistons, rings & connecting rod bearings if needed. It's nice that Audi stepped up to the plate on this issue. Must cost then approx 4k per fix.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 33
I got the pistons and rings replaced about two weeks ago. Too early to tell if the repair has resolved the oil consumption problem.

Have you requested for an extended warranty? I did and got rejected! And they wouldn't reconsider the request. I'll post on the Audizine thread and see if people have some suggestions...
Didn't think to ask for an extension as in CA all engine repairs are covered by 12 month 12,000 mile warrantee . Now at almost 8,000 miles and am down 2/3 qt. The tech did a great job.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil consumption and piston replacement

I have a 2011 Q5 and failed an oil consumption test resulting in piston and ring replacement. I've had all 5 ignition coils replaced and car towed to the dealership three times as well as an exhaust gasket replacement not to mention a few other minor repairs covered under factory warranty. Overall love the car but at this price it's reliability is a major concern.

Anyone one else have these problems? Has Audi "made good" in any way? While Audi has covered all costs to date concerned I'll be stuck with a big bill in the future given ongoing problems and expired warranty. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greg Reiser
I have a 2011 Q5 and failed an oil consumption test resulting in piston and ring replacement. I've had all 5 ignition coils replaced and car towed to the dealership three times as well as an exhaust gasket replacement not to mention a few other minor repairs covered under factory warranty. Overall love the car but at this price it's reliability is a major concern.

Anyone one else have these problems? Has Audi "made good" in any way? While Audi has covered all costs to date concerned I'll be stuck with a big bill in the future given ongoing problems and expired warranty. Any advice greatly appreciated!
I have the same issue with the oil consumption, bump, bump, waiting for someone to answer.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by harryharry
I have the same issue with the oil consumption, bump, bump, waiting for someone to answer.
I took my 2009 Avant 2.0T to my dealer yesterday due to abnormally high oil consumption. 1 quart every 500 miles. Apparently its covered by Audi and its a two step process with the first test set up taking 3 hours of mechanics work. I am being asked to drive it 620 miles or when the oil indicator symbol comes on whichever occurs first. At that point, I am to take the car back to the dealership where my pistons will be replaced. Essentially, one is getting a new engine.
While setting the first part of the test, they did notice one of my spark plugs coils had excessive oil and this needed to be fixed. Was it related? I am not sure but that part cost me $720.00.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Piston replacement for oil consumption problem?